Panga

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Captainawesomepants

Panga

Post by Captainawesomepants »

Anyone own a panga or have any experience with them? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it a comfortable ride? Easy to fish with multiple anglers? Stuff like that.

They seem like a good hull but the beam is a bit skinny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Panga

Post by fishinfool »

Maybe BigBendGyrene will chime in, he loves his.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have tested several sizes and brands over the years. They have a narrow beam by design to perform well with lower horsepower. Yamaha developed the original panga for artisanal fishermen in Central America. I've seen 18-footers 40 miles offshore.

Handles seas very well. Soft ride and fuel efficient. Shallow draft. Drawbacks are limited storage, high bow which can complicate trolling motor installation and tender in beam-to seas.

BBG and a couple others own pangas, as FnF mentioned. They could offer an owner's perspective, but based on my experience I'm a fan. I think a panga would make a good utility boat for inshore/nearshore in the Big Bend. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Quite a few old threads that cover pros / cons, but for some reason (and wish Bman could figure it out if he sees this!) the search bar feature DOES NOT work from the home page but DOES work if you click into the forum board index. So versus re-writing a response, I'll just paste one of the ones I found where I spoke to pangas in the past...

My 22' Marquesa built by Panga Marine has served me well since I got it in 2005, with probably 90% of the trips I've taken her out involving runs offshore 10 to 20 miles (while needing single digit gallons to refill the tank!). Fair number of those runs with 2' seas, few 3's, and while I tend to just stay inshore when over 3', a few unforeseen summer squalls had me anchor ride solid 6's (never would do intentionally, but have to say Marine's Dream handled it WAY better than my seasick guests aboard did). Also have put her super skinny targeting reds schooled up on oyster bars and shallow hard bottom out of Econfina.

When I ordered it, Rob at Panga Marine asked how I wanted to use it and when I mentioned exploring offshore he pushed two additions fairly hard... trim tabs and jack plate. The trim tabs not only help me level the ride BUT when both sides are trimmed down let me push the bow down letting the front-v cut waves, and the jack plate lets me lower and tilt the engine to make the boat even more solid pushing through the waves. I TRUTHFULLY CAN'T IMAGINE the difference in the boat if I hadn't opted for both! Calm day? I lift the tabs, raise the jack plate and Marine's Dream will ride so high it feels like I'm floating on a magic carpet ride! :-)

My biggest critique on the Panga isn't the seaworthiness when running but more so the rocking and rolling they do while ANCHORED in heavy chop. Boat can take it just fine, but again passengers can't always do so and it cuts down on the fishing fun on the choppy days when you have to be much more careful standing / walking around the boat if fighting a fish. Narrow beam design makes for awesome fuel efficiency, but comfort when anchored in rough seas IS a compromise. And with that in mind, will also add there's NO WAY I would trade my 22' Panga for a shorter Panga if still targeting offshore. Buddy and fellow board member Sharkman had the 18' Niente and while an AWESOME inshore boat, he had to pick his offshore days with much more care than I did with the 22' length. If money grew on trees or I had as much money as Bman must in light of the small fleet of ships he owns, be awfully tempted to get the 29' Horizon with twin engines. Range of 500 to 600 miles!!! I could find a lot of cobia between here and Mexico.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Here's a thread from another forum with additional panga feedback:

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/pang ... ost-591306
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Above old post re-shared, I'll add a little more info for whatever it's worth. I actually bought the 22' with goal of splitting time about 90/10 % targeting reds at nearshore bars with only OCCASIONAL offshore trips for gags when in season. First year or two I owned the boat, I fished inshore much more than offshore. Then started catching cobia both inshore and offshore and can't lie... got addicted to the chasing cobia (and subsequently kings as well) so that split became about 95/5% offshore to rare inshore days targeting reds. The 22' panga has proved an extremely worthy boat for both endeavors... and LOTS of boats that couldn't be said for, as they'll fit one of the bills great but not both.

Been honest in past though in saying it ISN'T the boat for everyone. Briefly had a trolling motor on the flared front bow, but required long shaft motor with two extra batteries up front that took up limited storage and gave me enough grief bobbing up and down out of the water I took it off after only a year or two. In calm weather it worked fine, but just wasn't ideal for choppy offshore conditions.

On note about being tough keeping footing in choppy conditions, I'll add that was a bigger concern when I occasionally took my elderly father out. Sadly he's since passed and I would say that it isn't as much of a factor to me now -- guys I fish with are fairly fit so can handle it. Approaching my mid-50s, will say that when / if the day comes I begin to lose mobility I would probably resort to staying nearshore or getting a steadier boat for offshore endeavors.

Storage in general is limited by very nature of reduced footprint. That said, I've got a center console with T-top so do have anchor/gear storage space at front of bow, storage space under center console seat, and have coffin box storage. Also have added enough rod-holders that it can hold 14 rods.

FAVORITE thing about it of all is being able to run about 35mph using a 90hp engine in good conditions, put in about 30 miles a trip, and fill up with less than 2 five gallon gas cans once back home.

I've found it to be a FISHING MACHINE, and one I think fits well for trips with 2 or 3 able bodied guys. Wanting a pleasure cruiser, boat for entertaining large crowds, etc, than being very honest not the boat I'd choose.

Really does boil down to deciding what your usage priorities are and then picking the boat that best meets them. For almost 15 years as relates to MY NEEDS the panga's been a choice I'm very happy with. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Shields recently had a 26' for sale, which would add a few more feet of space and storage.
I looked very closely at the Panga's before buying my current boat, they were absolutely my second choice.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Captainawesomepants

Thanks for the input!

Captainawesomepants

Does anyone have experience with the Panga manufacturer out of Perry, FL? I think they are called Slayer Boats