Scalloping death

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Scalloping death

Post by Dubble Trubble »

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Scalloping death

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Ya'll be careful out there. Remember those dive flags and keep somebody on the boat as a look out of sorts.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

I'm guessing alcohol may have been involved. I'm hoping shit hits the fan for that deck boat.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Terrible, but I am not shocked. I am taking the scout troop, but I am taking off Wednesday to take them so that I can avoid the weekend crowd.

I ain't judging this until I hear more facts. I've seen as many folks without dive flags and too far away from their flags as I have seen crazy boat drivers.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

At St Joe bay last weekend (thin scallops and small) I saw and was affected by some of the worst boating etiquette and behavior I have ever seen. This included, but was not limited to 1) boats running WOT within 50 yrs of other boats, 2) boats running WOT through drifts and scalloping flags, 3) massive amounts of people on very small boats. I also saw several boats being towed (some by much smaller boats). I am actually surprised there are not more accidents than reported. I love scalloping, but HATE scallop season, if that makes any sense.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

BrogensDuck wrote:I love scalloping, but HATE scallop season, if that makes any sense.
Makes perfect sense.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

WaltDawg wrote:There was a diver down flag.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2009 ... einhatchee
From that article:

Information about Sheppard’s proximity to his boat at the time and the type of divers-down flag that was in use was not immediately available.

:o
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

BrogensDuck wrote:I saw and was affected by some of the worst boating etiquette and behavior I have ever seen. This included, but was not limited to 1) boats running WOT within 50 yrs of other boats, 2) boats running WOT through drifts and scalloping flags
Those guys were out in force at Lanark last Saturday too. Twice I was scalloping with the flag flying high and had boats run by me WOT close enough that I could read the numbers off their hulls.

On the other hand there were guys out there with no boats (I guess they waded/swam out there) with 12X12 flags who I almost ran over while headed out of that mess.
SaltLife84

Post by SaltLife84 »

My prayers go out to the individual and their family.

I wish there were more "law" in the areas watching for this sort of thing, as I am surprised this doesn't happen every weekend during scalloping season.

I LOVE scalloping, but it is dangerous, as some people just choose to ignore the flags and go WOT through the whole group.

I sometimes hate getting in the middle of the crowd and trying to idle my way out while looking for divers. I can't imagine trying to go WOT through all of that!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

BrogensDuck wrote:At St Joe bay last weekend (thin scallops and small) I saw and was affected by some of the worst boating etiquette and behavior I have ever seen. This included, but was not limited to 1) boats running WOT within 50 yrs of other boats, 2) boats running WOT through drifts and scalloping flags, 3) massive amounts of people on very small boats. I also saw several boats being towed (some by much smaller boats). I am actually surprised there are not more accidents than reported. I love scalloping, but HATE scallop season, if that makes any sense.
SJB this weekend was unbelievable; people running right through the flotilla. Forgot I had my parents with me for a second and let some choice words fly at one skiff. FWC was out there and peformed some safety checks, but I never saw them approach anyone who wasn't anchored. From my perspective, even if some of the anchored folks weren't in full compliance, it was the idiots running between them that were creating the greatest danager.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I think a lot of scallopers need to remember the regs for Diver Down activities.

From FWC website:
Divers-down Flag

* The size of divers-down flags displayed on vessels must be at least 20 inches by 24 inches, and a stiffener is required to keep the flag unfurled. Dive flags carried on floats must be at least 12 inches by 12 inches. Also, divers-down flags on vessels must be displayed above the vessel's highest point so that the flag's visibility is not obstructed in any direction.
* Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on open waters (all waterways other than rivers, inlets, or navigation channels) and within 100 feet of a flag within rivers, inlets, or navigation channels.
* Vessel operators must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from divers-down flags on open waters and at least 100 feet from flags on rivers, inlets or navigation channels. Vessels approaching divers-down flags closer than 300 feet in open water and 100 feet in rivers, inlets and navigation channels must slow to idle speed.
* When divers are out of the water, a dive flag may not be displayed.
GULP! free since 1970.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I could have easily hit one a week or two ago because he was well outside of the 300' radius of his flag. To add to that he was scalloping in an area that is outside the legal area to do it in.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
ttop_guy
Site Sponsor

Post by ttop_guy »

The 411 I just got out of Steinhatchee from a close source. The man was 600 to 800 feet away from his boat. They couldn't even tell what boat he was with. The boat that hit him was not on plane(investagaters could tell by the prop marks). Alcohol was not a factor at this point. Both good families from what I understand. 6 adults and 6 kids on the pontoon boat. A very sad event. The mother of the man that died had a heart attack the same day.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

ttop_guy wrote:The 411 I just got out of Steinhatchee from a close source. The man was 600 to 800 feet away from his boat. They couldn't even tell what boat he was with. The boat that hit him was not on plane(investagaters could tell by the prop marks). Alcohol was not a factor at this point. Both good families from what I understand. 6 adults and 6 kids on the pontoon boat. A very sad event. The mother of the man that died had a heart attack the same day.
That is the same information I got. No charges have been or will be filed against the boat driver.

This is terrible for all involved. Let us all remember to exercise much higher caution during this time of the year when our coastline is inundated with some many people who have no experience.