need a windshield for my center console

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pcbayou
Site Sponsor

need a windshield for my center console

Post by pcbayou »

Anyone have suggestions on where to get a replacement windshield for my 18-foot Palm Beach center console? It's a 2000-model Whitecap 181. I've found UPD Plastics way down south in Dania. But I'd like to find someone within a couple of hours drive from Panama City. Previous posts mentioned Martin's Custom Plexiglass in Madison and Custom Plastics in Tallahassee. Any others? Too bad there's not a Pic-n-Pull for boats. Or is there?
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: need a windshield for my center console

Post by DEMON »

Boat salvage yard: http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/bod/4484416635.html
Contact Palm Beach. They probably have replacements for sale thru their dealers.
Custom plastics in Tally does good work.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

If you are fairly handy, and the windshield does not have any compound curves, you can buy a flat sheet and bend it yourself with a heat gun. Cut with a jigsaw and smooth edges with a sander. I have done several plexiglass projects with my heat gun and they turned out fine. Just go slow and take your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGwZfKqalkw

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks, y'all. I'll check out Custom in Tallahassee and maybe Martin's in Madison. The manufacturer, Marine Manufacturing, has gone out of business. I could try the dealer where I take my boat, but I would rather cut out the middleman. As for being handy enough to do it myself: :smt009 But thanks for the info.
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

If Custom plastics is the guy on Capital Circle NE across from Home Depot he is high but good quality. I had him build one for my 18 CC 2 years ago.
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

I went out to pick up my repaired trolling motor from TM Service Center and there was a plastics shop on the other side of the building from TM. Their sign said they did boat windshields. TM is on Capital Circle NW across from Home Depot. lmmoore said that Custom Plastics was on CC NE across from Home Depot. Don't know if we're talking about the same place and maybe he just mistyped NE for NW.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

This sounds like the same place, Vitz. I'll probably try them if I can get the old windshield shipped so they can match it. We're gonna need a bigger box, but luckily not a bigger boat.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Pensacola Fishing Forum has many, many posts on this exact same topic. I have not kept up with all the dozens of posts, but there are several places that fellas have turned to for "Good, Economical results". Take a look on that forum and combine that info with all that these fellas have come up with............. "You'll get it solved and it DOES NOT have to cost an arm and leg".

You may find a great solution is closer to west of PC, rather than east. Good luck.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks -- that's a good idea. I'll check out the west side story.
Pangler
Site Sponsor

Post by Pangler »

A friend was well pleased with a windshield from Custom Plastics.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

An update: Custom Plastics in Tallahassee did a nice job, and the windshield fits perfectly. Doug, who I'm guessing is the owner, took the time to get the curves just right, working with photos of the boat that he asked me to e-mail. The price was good, too -- cheaper than other places farther away that were not nearly so customer-friendly. Thanks to all for the recommendation. :thumbup: