Engine Overheating due to Sea Grass

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Re: Engine Overheating due to Sea Grass

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Never had it happen until this thread was started
Bolt79

Post by Bolt79 »

Just an update...I was back out at Horseshoe on Thursday and there was hardly any floating grass in the area, and needless to say, I had zero problems with engine overheating. Guess it’s just something I’m going to have to deal with when there’s a lot of grass around.
Bolt79

Post by Bolt79 »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:Never had it happen until this thread was started
Sorry bro, didn’t mean to jinx ya...lol!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I take it back I have had it happen to me while running a seahag rental boat, but not my seapro until then, the 90 horse johnson on my seapro has some serious water pressure. Maybe the jinx is actually broken now as my last 3 trips have all had issues.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

Did some preventative maintenance on my yamaha 115 this weekend and thought about this thread. Had noticed a weaker pee stream so I rebuilt the water pump. In doing that I noticed the old impeller was in pretty good shape and the rebuild didn't seem to help the strength of the pee stream. Next I pulled the t-stats. The left stat was stuck wide open and the right stat was stuck at about 1/4 open. I cleaned them up and tested them in a pot of heated water with the same result so I replaced them both. The result was the pee stream strength was greatly improved. I never had a problem with sea grass causing an overheat, or any overheat for that matter, but it seems to me that at the stat that was stuck at 1/4 open was already reducing the water flow to the point that any clogging of the intake would have probably quickly resulted in overheating on that side of the engine. So that's what I'm offering to the discussion. Pull the stats and check them out. If they aren't throwing wide open there is already a restriction that might be enough to where any restriction of the intake sends it over the edge and causes an overheat.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

definitely check the stats, nothing to the water pressure gauge install if I can anyone should be able to
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

Bolt79 wrote:Thinking I see a water pressure gauge in my boat’s future. How difficult is the install?
It's pretty simple... Use a holesaw and drill where you want the gauge, tie the gauge backlighting into one of your existing gauges, route the pressure tube from there to your motor (hardest part), and plumb the pressure tubing into the water jacket of your motor. Most gauge kits I've seen come with everything needed (gauge, tubing, water jacket adapters) except the electrical terminals, wire, Teflon tape, and holesaw.
Bolt79

Post by Bolt79 »

Finally made it back out the other day and had zero issues with engine overheating. Fished out of Horseshoe, and the floating seagrass was gone for the most part, so I’m thinking the grass was my problem all along.

Also, haven’t gotten around to installing water pressure gauge, but that’s definitely still on the to-do list.
Bolt79

Post by Bolt79 »

Finally got around to installing a water pressure gauge on the boat. Hoping to run out to the lake later today to try it out. Does anybody know what’s typical pressure for a yamaha 115 four stroke? I’m sure it’s going to vary based on engine rpm’s, but just wondering what’s typical when it’s up and running around 30 mph (can’t remember what rpm it’s at when running at that speed).
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

My OX66 200 keeps about 10 psi at 4500 RPM
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

+1 for the water pressure gauge. I installed one along with my jackplate and find myself checking it often. My Suzuki 140 reads around 12 psi at cruising speed (30 mph @ 4200 RPM).
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

my f115 Yamaha keeps 20 # or better above 2000 rpms