Rat problem

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Rat problem

Post by Salty Gator »

red_yakker wrote:
GaryDroze wrote:I wonder how a grilled rat would taste...
They are not that great grilled. They don't have enough fat, and the meat dries out really quick. I've never tried wrapping it in bacon, but it may be OK.
Eating rat requires a few extra steps.
First, you have to use a live trap. Go to a pet store and buy a hamster/gerbil cage, water nipple, feed bowl, toys, etc...
Assuming you have a jar of bacon grease in the cabinet above your stove, soak some gerbil food in warm bacon grease overnight.
This is what you'll be feeding the rat for the next 6 months.
After 6 months, the rat should weigh between 8-10 ounces. If you can still make out his neck, he ain't put on enough weight yet.
Once your rat has reached full-eatin size, go ahead and put on a pot of water and bring it to about 185°. Rat is best scalded and not skinned.
I built myself a little rat guillotine to kill them quickly and efficiently, but this is where you can get creative and come up with your own method of ethical harvest. (BTW, save the heads for rat head cheese. It is a delicious snack that is surprisingly easy to make!)
Once the rat is scalded and gutted, you are ready to start preparing your meal!
Carefully carve the backstraps and tender-loins from the carcass and set aside.
Either discard the rest of the carcass, or place in the freezer to use later for soup stocks :lick:
Carefully slice the backstraps and tender-loins into 1/16 inch slices. Be sure to cut at a 45°angle, across the grain to ensure the steaks are tender.
Bread and fry with your favorite flour mix at 375° for about 4 seconds.
If you don't believe me, try it at Thanksgiving for the whole family. I promise, you will be the talk of the town for years to come ;)
Thats great, how many rats have you fattened up and eaten. Seems like not just a few :beer:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

Yall are killing me with the recipes :D
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

From my experience, anything bigger than a Red-Ryder will damage meat. Wrap with tin-foil, be generous with barbecue sauce. Grill until internal temperature is 170. :lol:
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Dinner at the Red Yakker household:
rats.jpg
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

get some Fresh Cab
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Red-Yakker, I can't believe the coincidence...

Your grilled rat recipe is almost word-for-word the protocol I employ for seagull.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

GaryDroze wrote: Your grilled rat recipe is almost word-for-word the protocol I employ for seagull.
Now you're just being gross.
But I did meet a guy once who claimed to have eaten pelican.
He said he wouldn't do it again.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Bubba_1122

Post by Bubba_1122 »

Had rats take up residence in my ATV several years ago.

Ended up chewing a bunch of wiring (including some going to the engine) . Took the tech a while (=$$) to find and fix the wires chewed up wires.

Hope you only had one (though would surprise me).