bucket question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

bucket question

Post by tailwaters »

A couple years back I took a friend of a friend scuba diving. He brought along a bucket to store his gear in between dives. It looked like your standard 5 gal but this one was about twice as tall. Normally I just stack my gear in a corner between spots but that leaves a lot of cluttered on the deck. A normal 5 gal pail is just too small, even the ones that are a couple inches taller. I have asked a couple buddy's who have pools thinking that might be a source for them but no luck. Anybody seen them before and know where I can purchase a couple?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: bucket question

Post by silverking »

Googled Extra Tall Buckets and this is one of the links that popped up:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... gJwPPD_BwE

Adopted a trick I learned from offshore crews with mine. Removed the wire handle and slightly enlarged the holes with a drill. Use a short piece of scrap nylon dock line as the replacement handle. Thread end of line through the hole and add a washer, either stainless steel or plastic. Pull enough slack through for easier handling and heat the tag end of the rope with a lighter. The longer fireplace/grill lighters work the best. Once the nylon gets hot and starts bubbling, use the flat end of a hammer head or other thick metal to mash the end of the rope down, forming a flattened cap. That "mushroom" will keep the rope from pulling through. Do the same for the other side.

The rope handles don't rattle, are easier on the hands, stack better and won't rust or corrode. :thumbup:
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Pool supply stores have buckets that are 6-8 inches taller. You can usually get them for free if you ask nice.

Duncan
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I homebrew beer and the buckets I use for that are probably the ones you are looking for. I use 6.5 gallon buckets, which give me 5 gallons of beer and plenty of head space for the wort to bubble. If you are in Tallahassee go by the homebrew den and ask for an ale pale. Shouldn't be more than $10
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I know you asked about buckets but just thought I would pass along that I use a rectangular clothes hamper bungeed to the back of my leaning post to store my gear. Works great & is out of the way most of the time. Tall enough to control several sets of fins even on the bumpiest of rides.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

If it aint a YETI bucket, its not a real bucket :lol: :lol: :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I like the rope & washer handle idea, not so sure about the melted ends holding up. I have a green bucket with holes in it, I think it started out with Deer corn in it. I keep a mushroom anchor and rope in it, with the end tied on to cleat. The holes let the mud and water drain out after I put the anchor back after using it.
Also serves as a collection point for empty water & Gatorade bottles, torn plastic baits, sandwich wrappers, apple cores etc.
Life is good!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

CC, I've had several buckets that I modified and they've held up for years. Use one as my wash bucket and it'll hold gallons of water with no problem. Have also kept heavy chum blocks, buoy weights, etc. in them. Drill a hole just large enough to thread the rope through and really melt a good chunk of the end, then flatten and you'll be good to go.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions guys! :thumbup: