Taxes on boats and motors

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Taxes on boats and motors

Post by SCALAWAG »

How many out there have to pay yearly taxes (to the county you live in) on your boat and motor and all accessories (trolling motors, depth finders, vhf )not counting tailer?? (We do here in coffee county Ga.)
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Taxes on boats and motors

Post by silverking »

Wow, that's pretty excessive.

We pay sales tax one time on boats, engines and accessories here in Florida. Registration fees on boat and trailer every year.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

It's been a few since I've bought a boat but if my memory is correct you pay taxes on purchase of a used boat too. Not the motor, electronics or anything else on it, just on the hull it self. Other than that is just the annual registration fee.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

The boats I've registered in Georgia ... no. The boats registered in Florida ... yes.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

Hey Mudducker, don't move to Douglas or you will be paying taxes on your boat or boats. If you live in Coffee county and own a boat that is registered in Ga. you pay yearly taxes on the boat and motor and accessories based on NADA Blue book. Aren't we blessed ;-)
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

SCALAWAG wrote:Hey Mudducker, don't move to Douglas or you will be paying taxes on your boat or boats. If you live in Coffee county and own a boat that is registered in Ga. you pay yearly taxes on the boat and motor and accessories based on NADA Blue book. Aren't we blessed ;-)
Coffee isn't the only county that does that. The state is supposed to report all boat registrations to the counties. Don't know if that is happening or not.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

For used boats in Florida, the law is you must pay sales tax on the purchase but only on the hull and trailer. It's important to obtain a bill of sale that lists the total purchase price but itemizes the total purchase price between hull, trailer and engines/tackle/misc. equipment. Obviously, you want to put as much value as can reasonably be justified into the engines/tackle/misc. equipment since you don't pay tax on that. Take the itemized bill of sale with you to the tax collector and you're good to go.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Yes. In Colquitt you pay on value of boat and motor. Crazy thing is it's considered property taxes.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

One of the few benefits of Wilcox co, they don't bother to tax boats etc.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I was paying about $100.00 each year for the 3 boats I own. After the value of all of them together dropped below $8,000.00, I stopped having to pay. I still have to send a list of them in every year, but no tax bill now.
Yours in the South
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Next we're gonna start getting taxed per fish we catch :smt012. I seriously think I only keep about 30% of my income...
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
DirtDobber

Post by DirtDobber »

There would be rioting in the streets if they had that tax in Wakulla county! Hello btw long time stalker 1st post ;-)
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

DirtDobber wrote:There would be rioting in the streets if they had that tax in Wakulla county! Hello btw long time stalker 1st post ;-)
Welcome
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven