8' Power Pole

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CalGarretson

8' Power Pole

Post by CalGarretson »

I am about to have one installed on my 1720 Key west. It seems to me that an 8' would be plenty long enough. Anyone have any insights?
jsaunders

Re: 8' Power Pole

Post by jsaunders »

I just had a 10' Minn Kota talon installed on my boat. I decided on to step up to the 10' primarily for fishing for trout in the river channel during winter. The extra two foot has came in handy a couple times already. 8' would still be manageable though. I definitely don't see needing anything more than 8' out on the flats.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I just replaced a 6’ with an 8’. The 10 was too big for me on the transom. I’m happy with the 8
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

As you are probably figuring out from the posts above, it's a balance between anchoring ability and being able to cast from your rear deck.

I have an 8 footer on a SeaArk. It will not anchor firmly in 8 feet of water. More like 6-7. However, it is not too difficult to cast around either. Sometimes when my son and I are bass fishing under trees or brush, we will put it part way down to get it out of the way.

- Steve Stinson
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I had an 8-foot PP on my Bayshore flats boat, which was heavy (1,200+ pounds). It held well in depths of six feet or less. However, as others have mentioned the actual length vs. the holding depth varies depending on bottom, wind and current.

IMO, a 10-footer on your Key West wouldn't really give that much of an advantage. It costs more and would be more in the way than the 8-footer. When I was poling or moving short distances to fish another spot, I would leave my spike down so the tip was just under the surface of the water. That way it was quicker to deploy and didn't make as much noise when approaching wary fish.

I would recommend buying one with the C-Monster pump if the budget will allow. It's quieter and offers more deployment options. Believe the pricier models all come with those now but not sure of the base Sportsman.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

While dual 10 footers will make your Bassboat go super duper fast a single 8 footer will be perfect for your Key West.

I had a new 2017 model "Sportman" series 8 footer installed last spring on my 19' bay boat. It came with the same C-Monster pump as the high-end models and worked fabulously. I sold that boat and recently installed a Pro 2 model on the new boat, and it works just as well. (just cost more money)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I have an almost 14 year old 8 footer on an 04 Sea pro 2100 bay boat and like already said it depends on wind, waves and current but it usually holds great in 6 ft or less. (7 ft if it's a slick calm day) It's been on the boat since new and I recently had to replace the pins and bushings. I called Power Pole and they sent me the parts and an extra set free of charge. Great product! I've been hard on mine. Can't count the number of times I've forgotten the power pole was deployed and had the boat on plane before I realized it.

I would make a couple of suggestions: After a couple years of stabbing into hard bottom and ultra violet rays the fiberglass shaft may start to fray and fiberglass splinters in your hands are no fun! I'd suggest buying a section of 1- 1/2" shrink tubing ( in your favorite color) and shrinking it onto the shaft. It looks good and that alone will protect both the shaft and your hands. They also sell a stainless steel point that mounts on the end of the fiberglass shaft. I've heard they protect the shaft from damage but are subject to fall off. I found the bottom metal tube from a solar light fits the shaft perfectly.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Mine came with the PP spike sleeve, which I installed. That does protect the spike from UV rays and shedding glass splinters. You can do the same thing with a length of heat shrink and a torch or butane lighter but it won't have the PP logo.

I have added the stainless steel tip to all my spikes (boat and kayak). Don't think PowerPole sells them, or at least they didn't the last time I checked. Wang Anchors does, though. It definitely helps preserve the tip and cuts down on damage from the limestone rock and oyster shell found in local waters. I've always cut the pointed tip off so it's flush, roughed the end with sandpaper and then filled the SS cap with two-part epoxy and slid it on. Use duct tape and tape over the tip and up the shaft to hold in place and let it cure overnight. Have never had one come off.

Partial to PowerPole myself, but PP or Talon, shallow-water anchor systems are a great boating tool to help you catch more fish with minimal damage to the seagrass and bottom. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

There's a Power Pole debate going on in another forum... Have you ever heard of a hull warranty being voided due to mounting a Power Pole? Considering the thousands of boats with them, I doubt it, but the question has come up and I'm not sure of the answer. :hammer:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
CalGarretson

Post by CalGarretson »

Thank you for all the feedback. I found a pair of 8' talons for a deal and am going to look at theme Saturday. Storage space on my boat is a premium and I like the idea of the talons being a self contained unit. I am not completely set just yet, but leaning in that direction.

Thanks again.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Juan wrote:There's a Power Pole debate going on in another forum... Have you ever heard of a hull warranty being voided due to mounting a Power Pole? Considering the thousands of boats with them, I doubt it, but the question has come up and I'm not sure of the answer. :hammer:
The new Pathfinder bay boats come with a reinforced area on the transom specifically designed for a PP mount. You can order the PP from the factory installed there or on a Jackplate bracket. So it would be difficult to claim a voided warranty if your installation was along those same lines.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

CalGarretson wrote:Thank you for all the feedback. I found a pair of 8' talons for a deal and am going to look at theme Saturday. Storage space on my boat is a premium and I like the idea of the talons being a self contained unit. I am not completely set just yet, but leaning in that direction.

Thanks again.
I love my talon. The all electric operation and straight down deployment are what made me choose it over a PowerPole.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote:There's a Power Pole debate going on in another forum... Have you ever heard of a hull warranty being voided due to mounting a Power Pole? Considering the thousands of boats with them, I doubt it, but the question has come up and I'm not sure of the answer. :hammer:
Not sure about that, but my 06 pathfinder tournament came with a pp on the transom. Not sure if that came from the factory or done at the dealership, but either way they would be responsible for any warranty work
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven