2018 FL Skiff Challenge

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

2018 FL Skiff Challenge

Post by silverking »

2018 Florida Skiff Challenge is a Grueling Endurance Run
Circumnavigating the Sunshine State, Benefits Captains for Clean Water

April 3, 2018; Pensacola, Florida: “Gentlemen, start your outboards!”

The 2018 Florida Skiff Challenge gets underway April 3 with a flare from this westernmost Panhandle city. Four teams will be competing in a difficult endurance race around the Florida coast and Key West in skiffs no longer than 18 feet. The goal? To see who can first cross the finish line at the famous Cabin Bluff Lodge near Cumberland Island, Georgia.

In addition to bragging rights, the teams are racing to raise funds for Captains for Clean Water, an advocacy group promoting awareness about the state’s deteriorating coastal water quality. The four teams represent Chittum Boatworks, Hell’s Bay Boatworks, Panga Marine and Yellowfin Yachts. The Challenge will conclude April 5 after more than 50 straight hours and a 1,600-mile trek.

Fuel capacity is limited to 23 gallons per skiff. Support vans will rendezvous with their respective teams enroute to provide more fuel, food and clothing. There will be a mandatory fuel stop at Gilbert’s Resort in Key Largo. Team Hell’s Bay is the defending Challenge champion. The team consists of Capt. Chris Peterson, co-owner of the company, and his son, JC Peterson. Dan Hunt will serve as crew chief, joined by Steven Hobbs. The Petersons will be running a Biscayne 16 powered by a 70-hp Yamaha and outfitted with a Raymarine Axiom navigation system with weather forecast software.

“This is a true test of endurance and grit, even if conditions are good,” the senior Peterson says. “It’s long hours and long distances. We really have to knuckle down and push through to do this. The hardest part for me is just before daylight the second day. After that, the adrenalin kicks in and you start to feel the end. We’re not planning on doing anything different this time, unless the weather and sea conditions make it necessary.” The father/son teammates take turns driving the boat while the other tries to rest.

“Heath and Chase (Team Yellowfin, the inaugural FSC champions) are tough as nails,” Peterson adds. “They won’t give up and push to the very end. One slip-up and they’ll be ahead of us, so we can never let our guard down. It’s always a good challenge competing against them.”

Heath Daughtry and Chase Daniel will be piloting the team’s 17 Yellowfin Skiff, which tips the scales at 600 pounds. It will be propelled by a 70-hp Yamaha four-stroke outboard. Yellowfin’s support team includes Ty Nelson, owner of Florida Fishing Products and Guillermo Nazario, Yellowfin’s inshore rigging manager.

Hal T. Chittum and George A. Sawley, the main partners of Chittum Boatworks, will be competing for the first time in a carbon fiber Islamorada 18 skiff powered by a Honda 70-hp outboard. Chittum says they will have a range of 200-plus miles cruising at 4,500 rpm, if the weather is calm. The pair plans to run in open water and will meet up with their support crew, Kevin Michael Casey and Shane Thomas Casey, whenever they can navigate through the various inlets.

“The biggest reason for us to do this is to raise money for the water issues,” Chittum explains. “But George and I also thought it was cool. It’ll be a great showcase for what you can really do with a lightweight, shallow water skiff. Our plan is to go as fast as we can under the conditions and hope the weather cooperates.” Chittum says the Islamorada fully loaded will weigh 875 pounds and average 10 miles per gallon.

Panga Marine owner Tom Biller and Ryan Till will be the final competitors in this year’s field. They’ll be racing in an 18 Panga EVO model rigged with a 70-hp Suzuki four-stroke outboard. With the exception of the interior, the EVO is the same hull design and construction as those available to consumers.

“This is my third year and it’s a great challenge for me personally and for the equipment,” Biller says. “We have a lot to prove and we’re looking forward to doing that.

“We’ll be taking the same approach as previous years, but you can’t control the weather so we may be forced to make adjustments along the way,” he adds. “Towards the end, it going to get tough. Coffee only lasts so long. Ryan and I plan to switch driving each leg so the other can rest. We’re depending on our support crew to keep us hydrated and fed and we’ll try to stay dry.”

Challenge enthusiasts can follow the action on-line at http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/flori ... -challenge or on social media (FaceBook, Instagram and Twitter). Those wishing to sponsor a team can do so at captainsforcleanwater.org/2018-skiff-challenge or donations can be made directly to the group to support its mission to bring awareness and scientifically supported solutions to restore and protect marine ecosystems and a way of life for future generations.

In addition to the four competing skiff companies, 2018 FSC sponsors include Cabin Bluff Lodge, Raymarine, Yeti, Papa’s Pilar, Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Justin Boots, Saved by Spot and Costa.

###
team-hells-bay.jpg
team-hells-bay.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
team-yellowfin.jpg
team-panga.jpg
team-panga.jpg (83.95 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
team-chittum.jpg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: 2018 FL Skiff Challenge

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup: I'm going with Chittum !!!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

When I interviewed Hal for this he told me they built a carbon fiber skiff for a TX surgeon who loves to fish tarpon tournaments in the Keys. He hung a 200-hp on the back and it'll do 80 mph, according to Hal.

The Challenge will be more endurance than speed, depending on sea conditions.

I'll be doing a follow-up article and release from the finish line at Cabin Bluff.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Gotta go with the Panga! Those things are just too cool - that, and they're the direct-to-consumer model, not a special build
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

silverking wrote:When I interviewed Hal for this he told me they built a carbon fiber skiff for a TX surgeon who loves to fish tarpon tournaments in the Keys. He hung a 200-hp on the back and it'll do 80 mph, according to Hal.

The Challenge will be more endurance than speed, depending on sea conditions.

I'll be doing a follow-up article and release from the finish line at Cabin Bluff.

I've seen it !!! on FB
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

FishWithChris wrote:Gotta go with the Panga! Those things are just too cool - that, and they're the direct-to-consumer model, not a special build

I’d take a friendly wager on that. Have you ever fished on one Chris?
Thanks for posting Capt Dave. This is cool, I’ll be following for sure
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FYI, Team Panga has not finished the race in previous Challenges due to mechanical problems. That is a proven fuel-efficient hull design, however, so they will be competitive. I've seen pangas 40 miles offshore of Venezuela.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:FYI, Team Panga has not finished the race in previous Challenges due to mechanical problems. That is a proven fuel-efficient hull design, however, so they will be competitive. I've seen pangas 40 miles offshore of Venezuela.
I can see an 18’ panga handling open water better than a 16’ skiff. And maybe a good boat for this race, but in would be a distant fourth choice though fish out of. Chris, one of my best friends had a 22’. Really nice guy and would take us out to fish if you ever want to see one in action.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks SG. I have fished and tested several styles/brands of pangas over the years. Like all boats they have their advantages and limitations.

Yamaha Outboards is credited with developing the design to serve as an inexpensive and fuel efficient option for artisanal fishermen in Central and South America. The narrow beam doesn't require as much horsepower, the hull bottom is seaworthy and has a shallow draft and it sips fuel. You see thousands with Yamaha Enduro 2-strokes throughout Mexico and elsewhere. They are tippy because of the narrow beam and the cockpit/interior is limited for storage and space due to the design. Whether all these traits will translate into a winning combo for Team Panga is yet to be determined. As far as the Challenge, it is an interesting twist seeing how the other three entries are more traditional style technical poling skiffs.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I'm always open for a little friendly wager action!

And I have not fished off of one... yet. I appreciate the wide beam of many of today's modern flats boats, but the versatility those Pangas provide to get in shallow and still handle fairly decent wake is just the coolest thing. But, most of my fishing is inshore chasing reds - and there are so many "better" hulls for our area.

What is the boundary limits / distance-to-shore restriction for this? I'd love for them to have to stay within state waters!

SG - let's get together and set something up.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Can't quote exact rules verbatim, but it's pretty loose. They'll be staying in state waters to minimize distance and can adjust according to conditions. For example, several are planning fuel stops at Carrabelle or Alligator Point and will then cut across the Big Bend to stop again at Cedar Key. Hopefully they won't have to contend with seas like we've had the last couple days.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:Thanks SG. I have fished and tested several styles/brands of pangas over the years. Like all boats they have their advantages and limitations.

Yamaha Outboards is credited with developing the design to serve as an inexpensive and fuel efficient option for artisanal fishermen in Central and South America. The narrow beam doesn't require as much horsepower, the hull bottom is seaworthy and has a shallow draft and it sips fuel. You see thousands with Yamaha Enduro 2-strokes throughout Mexico and elsewhere. They are tippy because of the narrow beam and the cockpit/interior is limited for storage and space due to the design. Whether all these traits will translate into a winning combo for Team Panga is yet to be determined. As far as the Challenge, it is an interesting twist seeing how the other three entries are more traditional style technical poling skiffs.
The offer was for Chris, I know you don’t want any part of that
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

:wink: Understood.

You two could pledge to support opposing teams through the CFCW site and that way the cause wins.
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

Last year Panga made the Gulf crossing from Sikes Cut over to around Homosassa in some pretty nasty conditions. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when their tracker showed them taking that route. They ended damaging their hull on the crossing and had to pull out the next day. There's video of it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

silverking wrote:Can't quote exact rules verbatim, but it's pretty loose. They'll be staying in state waters to minimize distance and can adjust according to conditions. For example, several are planning fuel stops at Carrabelle or Alligator Point and will then cut across the Big Bend to stop again at Cedar Key. Hopefully they won't have to contend with seas like we've had the last couple days.
I'll follow closely on that - wouldn't mind making the drive down to check them out!

Image Image Image