Yamaha F25

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

HighOnTheFlats

Yamaha F25

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Anyone give me any insight on the Yamaha F25 Outboard? Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new outboard for the skiff. Looking to get a tiller steer.

Pros?
Cons?
Likes/Dislikes?
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Yamaha F25

Post by Salty Gator »

The only thing not to like about a Yamaha is the price
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

Salty Gator wrote:The only thing not to like about a Yamaha is the price

Fun Tickets...is what I call em.
“..Grew up watching Bill Dance and Stone Cold, that’s why I’m always fishing and do nothing I’m told.”
STMU

Post by STMU »

I was in your same shoes two years ago, and ended up getting a 20hp over a 25hp Yamaha. The price difference when I looked was $1,200 more for the 25hp. In addition, the 25hp weighs 50lbs more than the 20hp! Depending on the boat you are putting it on, that extra weight could negate a lot of the horsepower you gain. I have a 16' Alweld tunnel hull. I wanted something light that could draft shallow. The 20hp works perfect for me. My friend has the exact same set up in a 25hp, and I will say it goes a little bit faster, but not much. And definitely not worth the price difference. With me, the wife, dog and a loaded down cooler I am doing anywhere from 18mph. 22mph solo. Although where I fish I rarely go that fast.

Not sure how much has changed in two years, but I would suggest researching price point and weight on the two models. The new 25hp aren't the old portables the 2 strokes used to be (which I sure do miss!). Depending on hull weight and your needs, a 25hp may be better, but the 20hp can save you some money for sure!
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

STMU wrote:I was in your same shoes two years ago, and ended up getting a 20hp over a 25hp Yamaha. The price difference when I looked was $1,200 more for the 25hp. In addition, the 25hp weighs 50lbs more than the 20hp! Depending on the boat you are putting it on, that extra weight could negate a lot of the horsepower you gain. I have a 16' Alweld tunnel hull. I wanted something light that could draft shallow. The 20hp works perfect for me. My friend has the exact same set up in a 25hp, and I will say it goes a little bit faster, but not much. And definitely not worth the price difference. With me, the wife, dog and a loaded down cooler I am doing anywhere from 18mph. 22mph solo. Although where I fish I rarely go that fast.

Not sure how much has changed in two years, but I would suggest researching price point and weight on the two models. The new 25hp aren't the old portables the 2 strokes used to be (which I sure do miss!). Depending on hull weight and your needs, a 25hp may be better, but the 20hp can save you some money for sure!

thank you for the input. the new F25 they are saying only ways 140 lbs not sure how that compares to your model. that is the main reason for asking? I will be placing the motor on a 15' aluminum.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I was shopping a smaller motor and ended up choosing a Tohatsu. They used to make the smaller engines for several mfg's and the price is better.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
STMU

Post by STMU »

HighOnTheFlats wrote:thank you for the input. the new F25 they are saying only ways 140 lbs not sure how that compares to your model. that is the main reason for asking? I will be placing the motor on a 15' aluminum.
I saw online they did just come out with a new F25hp that is lighter than the older ones. It looks like a new split in the blocks. For quite a few years it used to be that the 10/15/20 hp were from one block, and the 25/40hp was another block. The 25hp was no longer defined as portable given the increased weight. Quite a few threads on the hulltruth forum go into this. I suspect they revamped the 25hp as sales started slipping because the weight difference and nonportable features really made it cumbersome. If you do get new, I'd suggest checking the manufactures date. If it's been sitting in the showroom for a while, it might be the older model.
MudDucker wrote:I was shopping a smaller motor and ended up choosing a Tohatsu. They used to make the smaller engines for several mfg's and the price is better.
I looked at those also. I was amazed to see they are everywhere in the 25hp and under outboards. They have been putting them in the smaller Mercury outboards for a while now. Hopefully they will be a little more reliable now... :-D

Suzuki's are great little outboards too. At the time, they were to only ones making an EFI under 25hp. I hate rebuilding carbs and was really tempted to try one but the price was to rich for my blood. I believe other manufacturers now have EFI's for their smaller outboards. It's somewhat new tech at an engine that size, which always makes me nervous, but definitely worth looking into if you don't want to deal with carbs.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

MudDucker wrote:I was shopping a smaller motor and ended up choosing a Tohatsu. They used to make the smaller engines for several mfg's and the price is better.

The older model Tohatsu Outboards where amazing, easy to modify and would run like Nick Chubb come duck season.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

STMU wrote:
HighOnTheFlats wrote:thank you for the input. the new F25 they are saying only ways 140 lbs not sure how that compares to your model. that is the main reason for asking? I will be placing the motor on a 15' aluminum.
I saw online they did just come out with a new F25hp that is lighter than the older ones. It looks like a new split in the blocks. For quite a few years it used to be that the 10/15/20 hp were from one block, and the 25/40hp was another block. The 25hp was no longer defined as portable given the increased weight. Quite a few threads on the hulltruth forum go into this. I suspect they revamped the 25hp as sales started slipping because the weight difference and nonportable features really made it cumbersome. If you do get new, I'd suggest checking the manufactures date. If it's been sitting in the showroom for a while, it might be the older model.
I looked at those also. I was amazed to see they are everywhere in the 25hp and under outboards. They have been putting them in the smaller Mercury outboards for a while now. Hopefully they will be a little more reliable now... :-D

Suzuki's are great little outboards too. At the time, they were to only ones making an EFI under 25hp. I hate rebuilding carbs and was really tempted to try one but the price was to rich for my blood. I believe other manufacturers now have EFI's for their smaller outboards. It's somewhat new tech at an engine that size, which always makes me nervous, but definitely worth looking into if you don't want to deal with carbs.

good look. I was actually going to place an order for the motor. another reason I believe they are revamping the four strokes period, is to get everyone off the two strokes.
STMU

Post by STMU »

Might be worth calling around before you order it. I purchased mine from a dealer in Mexico Beach, who just wanted to clear inventory. It was a short shaft that had been sitting for a couple of years. Took $800 off the listed price!
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

STMU wrote:Might be worth calling around before you order it. I purchased mine from a dealer in Mexico Beach, who just wanted to clear inventory. It was a short shaft that had been sitting for a couple of years. Took $800 off the listed price!
nice. appreciate the input. money is not an issue, just wanted to see if anyone cold give me a first hand review.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I have a Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke on a 15' G3. Besides replacing a water pump their has been zero issues with it. I've also owned a 2 stroke merc. Personal I prefer the merc if we are talking about tiller models. The reason being you can shift from F-N-R but just twisting the handle. If you are using a tiller extension this is a big benefit. With the Yamaha you have to shift gears with a lever on the housing. This might sound minor but when you come upon a rock that extra couple seconds gained getting the motor into reverse can make all the difference. I've read a lot of guys going with the 20hp Suzuki on their micro skiffs. It's mainly due to the weight of them or lack of. That being said the two people I know who have one have both had issues with them. Good luck in whatever decide.
HighOnTheFlats

Post by HighOnTheFlats »

tailwaters wrote:I have a Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke on a 15' G3. Besides replacing a water pump their has been zero issues with it. I've also owned a 2 stroke merc. Personal I prefer the merc if we are talking about tiller models. The reason being you can shift from F-N-R but just twisting the handle. If you are using a tiller extension this is a big benefit. With the Yamaha you have to shift gears with a lever on the housing. This might sound minor but when you come upon a rock that extra couple seconds gained getting the motor into reverse can make all the difference. I've read a lot of guys going with the 20hp Suzuki on their micro skiffs. It's mainly due to the weight of them or lack of. That being said the two people I know who have one have both had issues with them. Good luck in whatever decide.
thank you for the input