looking for input

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

looking for input

Post by rammerjammer »

I am looking to buy a new boat, I mainly fish the flats with an occasional offshore trip when seas are calm.

Suggestions as to brand ,size, power etc. and the most reasonable place to purchase in Fl Ga area.

Trying to get feedback to start search

my old boat is a cc fiberglass with 115 Etec 18 ft

Thanks
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: looking for input

Post by Juan »

Too many good brands out there that would fit your fishing needs but since you usually fish inshore and do an occasional offshore, to be safe and feel comfortable doing both, I'd suggest going with a bay boat in the 20 - 22 ft range with no less than a 150 h.p. but that's just me. :D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Would help to have a few more details.

Any storage restrictions on size?
What is your tow vehicle?
How many anglers do you normally fish?
What is your budget?

I agree with Juan, hard to beat a bay boat for your initially described purpose. Capable of going fairly shallow yet still run offshore on decent days. You're probably going to want to figure a trolling motor and Power Pole into the overall purchase price.

If I were buying a bay boat right now my top three choices would be, based on quality, value and performance:
1. Avenger
2. Sportsman
3. Pathfinder
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

1. Pathfinder 2200 TE or TRS
2. Any other Pathfinder model you can afford.
3. See 1 and 2.

But......I might be a bit biased in my opinion. :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

You should check out the Nauticstar
Great in and off shore
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

rockyg wrote:1. Pathfinder 2200 TE or TRS
2. Any other Pathfinder model you can afford.
3. See 1 and 2.

But......I might be a bit biased in my opinion. :lol:
I would agree with this. I wouldn't be scared of Blackjack, Dorado, Schaefer, Gause, Sabalo, Canyon Bay, Shearwater. Something in the 22-26ft range, power would depend on the hull. I'd go Yamaha or Suzuki. All depends on funds.
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

SK
no storage issues
Chevy PU 1500 V8, although won't be towing very much
2 to 4 fisherman tops
20 to 25K
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

Sk
could go as much as 30k
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I'm kinda partial to Pathfinder as well. I'm on my third 2200v. They will do what you wanting to do better than most not saying they are the best choice but a very popular one. I fish from 1' to 60'. Of course you have to pick your days to run offshore like any other bay boat but they do handle it well. A 22'er with jack plate will let you fish all the way up to the shore line. The other boats mentioned are also nice but draft a little more. They are also relatively new to the market. Finding one in your price range will be difficult. A Pathfinder will be much easier. Take a look at their forum http://mbgforum.com there is always some nice ones listed in the classifieds. Good luck and if you have any questions about them give me a holler.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

rammerjammer wrote:Sk
could go as much as 30k
I'd consider a lightly used bay boat and let someone else suffer the depreciation. It's going to hard to find a new 20 ft and over bay boat of any make in the 30K range.
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

Thanks everyone for your input :thumbup:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Yep, the new ones I mentioned are over your budget. But like others have mentioned, you can find a nice one for $30K or less if you look hard and be ready to move when one comes on the market.

For that kind of money, I'd focus on the 22 Pathfinders. The forum is a great suggestion, along with searching on BoatTrader and check in on Craigs List occasionally. Big Bend Marine in Perry is the local dealer, so give them a call to see if they might have a trade-in or be on the lookout for one.

Good luck with the hunt. You'll find the right one.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Here's a Pathfinder 2200 in St; Joe for $18k : https://panamacity.craigslist.org/boa/d ... 17536.html

and one I can afford in Panama City: https://panamacity.craigslist.org/boa/d ... 17968.html :-D
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Totally agree with the 20-22' minimum if you're planning on offshore trips. For a number of reasons, I love my Panga Marquesas 22 and think pangas are good options depending on your desires. Light and easy to tow... drafts only about 8" so I've been able to use it to pull reds off grass line oyster bars around the Aucilla / Econ area... but also good offshore if conditions are half-decent. Majority of my trips involve runs of about 10 to 15 miles offshore and I've been making them in the Panga since I bought it in 2005, and that with a 90hp engine that will push me around 30 knots. Really nice to make such trips out and put less than 10 gallons of fuel in once back on the hill. On really nice forecast days I've even run it out of Carrabelle to the towers / snapper grounds a couple of times. If I were strictly going to shallow water fish OR strictly fish deeper waters out of the west side of the bay, I'd choose different boats for either of those scenarios... but for mixing it up, I love my Panga.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Love Pathfinders as well, I should add and not sure this deal is quite as tempting as the linked pathfinder Juan shared, but Panga Marine has a 2005 22' Marquesas listed for sale on its site -- it's the one that's named "Salty Justice."

http://pangamarine.com/preowned/index.html
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945