Inshore boat review?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Inshore boat review?

Post by Steve Stinson »

TCSO - Check your email.

- Steve Stinson
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

We have an express bay 20 . Bought it used and outfitted it with other extras that we need. It will go shallow and rides great on 2 foot chop. HAVE NOT TAKEN OFF SHORE. Still have my deep v off shore boat for 20 mile out but would not be afraid of 8 to 10 miles out . the bird racks at econfina are 5 mile out . We really love this boat for flats and creek fishing on skinny tides. Went out in a -.1 tide this winter and did fine but you have to be careful because of the rocks... You'd be fine with south wind but would have to really watch. Wouldnt want to be out 20 miles in the 'express....Thats my 2 cents worth. I think a fiber glass would be a better choice to go offshore. :smt006
TCSO122

Post by TCSO122 »

Thanks Carlabear and Steve for the information. I live in Thomas County as well Carlabear. That’s really the info I was looking for someone that owns an h20 bay. I won’t be going offshore just maybe a mile or two or to target he trout when the heat comes on during the summer. If you don’t mind me asking, where did you buy yours from? I have contacted Andalusa marine in Alabama and they are advertising 26k our the door for a loaded h20. I would rather buy in TLH or Perry for service, etc. Thanks again for all the info guys.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE A 18 1/2 STARCRAFT ALUM. BOAT WITH A 85 EVINRUDE THAT PUSHES THE HULL RIGHT AT 50 MPH AT 80 PERCENT THROTTLE WITH TWO HEALTHY OLD MEN . HAVE BEEN OUT TO THE K TOWER MANY TIMES, ALWAYS HAVE GPS AND WEATHER ON OUT THAT FAR OUT, HAVE ALWAYS CAUGHT GROUPER OUT THERE. I HAVE USED THIS BOAT UP ALL OF THE SMALL RIVERS OF APPALACH BAY WITH NO PROBLEMS. I DID LOOSE A BOTTOM DRIVE WHEN WE WERE TRYING TO OUT RUN A STORM, COST $1,200 FOR THE PARTS TO REBUILD. SORRY TO SAY IT HAS BEEN A LONG WHILE SINCE I HAVE DONE ANY FLATS OR OFF SHORE FISHING TO TO MY HEALTH AND ALSO LOST MY FISHING PARTNER OF 30 YRS. MANY OF YOU MEMBERS OF BIG BEND FISHING KNEW CARL BROWN, BEST FRIEND I EVER HAD. YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO READ THE CLOUDS FOR THE WEATHER, KNOW WHEN TO CRANK UP THAT OLD 85 FOR A 3/4 HOUR RIDE BACK TO THE RAMP.
SURE MISS MY OLD FRIEND CARL.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

my best friend has a xpress h20 bay with a 115 Yamaha SHO for sale. turn key the boat is a 2015, loaded with everything including power pole. hummingbird 9' touch with sides can, trolling motor, etc. asking 25k. he just wants to sell to purchase a bigger boat. aluminum trailer with the nice wheels.
TCSO122

Post by TCSO122 »

Doberman.
Could he send me some pictures and hours on the boat?
Thanks
gadiver

Post by gadiver »

I have a Xpress H22 Bay with a Yamaha 150. I bought it new last year from Jack’s Boats & Trailers in Perry. Waymond is top notch and has been great doing business with and has answered any questions I’ve had. The H22 has really surprised me with how well it rides. I’ve ridden in other fiberglass bay boats that have beaten me up. I recommend getting a hydraulic jack plate with any bay boat you buy. It’s great fishing in shallow water up close along the grass line and I’ve taken it out 8-10 miles out. Got caught a couple of weekends ago in 4-5 foot swells when the wind shifted from the Northeast and started blowing from the West at 15-20 mph winds, but it handled it ok definitely wouldn’t recommend it. The boat is super easy to maintain and the motor pushes it very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gadiver

Post by gadiver »

I’m considering selling it only to get a 24 foot boat. Lmk if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

TCSO, perhaps you've found a boat since this thread died. I shopped for a Seaark for a few months and bought an 2012 1860 MVT Pro from a guy in Tallahassee a few weeks ago. Has a 70 Yamaha 4 stroke and twin 10' power poles. It's gonna be named the Bar Hopper if you happen to see it around. Really good looking boat.

That said, I felt like I was a master boat hunter after shopping for a couple years. Here's one that might meet your specs and the guy has dropped it a thousand or 2 since he first listed it. This one was quite a bit out of my price range.

Good luck!

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/d/2 ... 05297.html
TCSO122

Post by TCSO122 »

Thanks for the link. I saw that boat as well. I am looking to find a used hull and trailer and put a brand new motor on it. I’ve been searching for a while and hoping that something comes up. To all those who have aluminum boats, has anyone ever considered installing a raised center console platform similar to what you would see on a ranger banshee or Texas style boats (Majek, explorer)? I am really considering this having a platform build and installed in the 1870 or 2070. Think it would be very unique and I like the elevated console. I would run a 90 on the 1870 and 115 on the 2070. Just got to find the deal. Open to driving a ways to pick one up...

Thanks
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

TCSO122 wrote:Thanks for the link. I saw that boat as well. I am looking to find a used hull and trailer and put a brand new motor on it. I’ve been searching for a while and hoping that something comes up. To all those who have aluminum boats, has anyone ever considered installing a raised center console platform similar to what you would see on a ranger banshee or Texas style boats (Majek, explorer)? I am really considering this having a platform build and installed in the 1870 or 2070. Think it would be very unique and I like the elevated console. I would run a 90 on the 1870 and 115 on the 2070. Just got to find the deal. Open to driving a ways to pick one up...

Thanks
The thing I’d be concerned with and a raised console would be the beating you take when in chop. The higher you go,the worse it is
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
TCSO122

Post by TCSO122 »

Been searching for a month for a used 1870 seaark hull. No luck. Thinking of buying new. I’m looking to fish 90% inshore (rivers and creek mouths) with the occasional venture a mile or two out on a nice day. Ranger banshee or seaark1870?
Fishing encoding, ochlocknee and possibly carrabelle.

Thanks! Tough decision
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Go to BassPro and look at that skiff inside with the elevated console. Really cool looking!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
TCSO122

Post by TCSO122 »

To those operating out of a 1872 SEAARK or similar size, how would it handle fishing in front of alligator point or a trip to dog island? I would pick my days of course. Settled on the 1872 seaark just trying to find one somewhere in the southeast for sale.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

taken my 18' xpress to DI from Lanark many times. Also fished some tournaments when I wished could, but it wasn't in the cards. Never taken the aluminum boat outside of the passes. Doesn't mean you can't on some days, but I find a different boat if that is my goal.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.