gps map questions

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

relicshunter

gps map questions

Post by relicshunter »

I have only had a fish finder on my boat and will be moving up to a duel unit very soon since it died. I am going with a ray marine dragonfly 4 pro. Options for the maps are navionics+ or Cmaps. Any thoughts between the two? I will be inshore or near shore maybe 10 miles at the most. I just don't know much about maps programs and what I have found during research is confusing. I have read that I would need to load maps of the areas I want to go by loading the chip from the computer. I have a very old computer and the operating system is not new enough. At a store, the clerk said pull up by the home and connect to wifi, I don't have it. Can I get decent detail without this custom map loading? I can bump up to a better computer fairly cheaply, but do I have to?
I appreciate any insights on this.
bbb

Re: gps map questions

Post by bbb »

You ever heard of "2 foot itis" or maybe "horsepower'itis"?

Whats the reason for only going with a 4 inch screen?
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Not sure what your trying to say by "2 foot isit. I assume you need to slow down typing.
I also have no idea what the HP or a 4" screen has to do with asking about map programs. I could be putting this on a small boat or I don't need the largest, greatest unit out there just to enjoy some good flats fishing.
Is this lack of unnecessary information why this is the only response I have gotten. I like this forum and read it often, post occasional, I was hoping for someones personal experience with these map programs and needing to use a computer or wifi to get use out of it.
Thank you
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

relicshunter wrote:Not sure what your trying to say by "2 foot isit. I assume you need to slow down typing.
I also have no idea what the HP or a 4" screen has to do with asking about map programs. I could be putting this on a small boat or I don't need the largest, greatest unit out there just to enjoy some good flats fishing.
Is this lack of unnecessary information why this is the only response I have gotten. I like this forum and read it often, post occasional, I was hoping for someones personal experience with these map programs and needing to use a computer or wifi to get use out of it.
Thank you

2 foot itis is something that happens when you buy a boat, you always want 2 more feet. Same with horsepower itis. I think he was trying to say, if you get a 4” screen you will soon want something bigger. A 5” is great for gps only, but with a split screen it’s a little small for some. I have a navionics card and I’ve never hooked it to a computer, probably should, but you don’t “have” to
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

He saying buy the biggest screen you can afford. No matter what map card you get it is going to be tough to read in detail on a 4" screen. There are some good deals to be had on larger screen gps's that you may won't to look into. I have a 12" screen and sometimes it's not big enough when you start using split screens. I would go to a big box store like bass pro and compare all that they have. Get as much as you can now cause you'll most like be upgrading later.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

I had never heard or read that saying and it sort of sounded like he was asking how big the boat was. I understand buy as much as you can afford, perhaps I can swing the 5". I just dropped a fair amount of the savings on a younger, bigger motor and a used aluminum trailer. I've been working with a small lowrance then it died last month.
Salty gator, so the map program gives you enough for your uses without computer downloading? Good to know. I am leaning toward the Navionics but the Cmaps have some nice features.
bbb

gps map questions

Post by bbb »

Sorry for the confusion.

My boat came with a $400, 5" unit. Ok if just using gps mapping or just using sonar. But try split screening 5" and you cant see much. I added a $400, 7" unit for sonar only and used the 5" unit for mapping only. The 7" looked so much bigger in the store. Now I've sold the 5" unit and replaced it with a discontinued $400 Garmin 94sv, a 9" unit for mapping. So i now have 16" of screens on my console.

My next purchase will be another 9" unit to replace the 7" unit. "Hence 2" 'itis".
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I've been looking at units for my flats boats over the last week. I haven't made a decision yet but did notice the reviews on the Ray Marine Dragonfly haven't been positive. Garmin has some units that come preloaded with BlueChart g2 Maps. There are aftermarket mapping software that are better but it might do what you are looking for and save you some cash. If you buy a Garmin unit and the BlueChart g2 Vision chip there is a $200 mail in rebate. The chip cost $259 so you basically get if for $59. The Blue Chart g2 Vision has the satellite overlay and a lot of other features the standard g2 doesn't. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin-- ... cordNum=31