Trolling batteries

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Trolling batteries

Post by Redbelly »

What are the lightest and best for their weight? I have a 24 volt and am looking to keep weight down.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Trolling batteries

Post by silverking »

Money no object? Lithium ion batteries.

Realistic and yet not cheap: Odyssey. Hold a charge forever and light compared to lead acid.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rickc

Post by rickc »

well i have tried a lot of trolling motor batteries over the years. depends on how hard you run your trolling motor. light use the odyssea are nice due to their weight. if you are killing your batteries often then weight is your friend. the best trolling motor batteries i have ever owned were deka. they held up to heavy use for years.

never have tried the new lithium batteries and even if they were priced a little better don't believe i would simply because fire and boats are a bad combination.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Stay away from the Optima line. I tried them and they were not worth the price difference. Ended up going back to Interstate batteries for all three of mine, but they are not lightweight.

- Steve Stinson
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Yeah hard to beat Interstates.

I am putting a 82 lb thrust great white on a 14' jon. :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I'm using the Duracell AGMs from SAM's Club. They are made by EastPenn which also makes Deka.
Had them for a couple of years without any problems. And I use my 24V trolling motor quite a bit.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Redbelly wrote:Yeah hard to beat Interstates.

Use long cables and put the battery at the opposite end of the boat from where you will be sitting. :thumbup: My son has a 15' Fisher aluminum boat that he uses a bow-mount Minnkota on. When he's fishing by himself on the front deck, the rear of the boat rides too high. We have the battery in the center of his boat.
STMU

Post by STMU »

Steve Stinson wrote:Use long cables and put the battery at the opposite end of the boat from where you will be sitting. :thumbup: My son has a 15' Fisher aluminum boat that he uses a bow-mount Minnkota on. When he's fishing by himself on the front deck, the rear of the boat rides too high. We have the battery in the center of his boat.
If using long cables make sure you are using appropriate gauge wire and installing your circuit breaker next to the battery, not the motor. I've had friends install thicker gauge wire or reinstall the breaker only after spending 100+ on new boards. Not to say it won't ever happen, but a little extra work or cost on the front should help reduce future problems. Minn Kota has a pretty good table for reference...

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/ ... nd-rigging
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Steve Stinson wrote:
Redbelly wrote:Yeah hard to beat Interstates.

Use long cables and put the battery at the opposite end of the boat from where you will be sitting. :thumbup: My son has a 15' Fisher aluminum boat that he uses a bow-mount Minnkota on. When he's fishing by himself on the front deck, the rear of the boat rides too high. We have the battery in the center of his boat.
My plan exactly :-D

It's a Great White
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc