Garmin 74sv with clearvu or lowrance with downview

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hardhead

Garmin 74sv with clearvu or lowrance with downview

Post by hardhead »

This may be the wrong section for this. I'm getting a new unit. Garmin 74sv with GT41-TM transducer. Now that I've been reading a lot more about their clearvu and the problems they ran into with their downscan transducers(patent infringement or something) I'm thinking I made a mistake. Apparently they can't offer a true down scan. In downscan mode they actually take the 2 side scan images and piece them together to create a downscan image. Prob is it sounds like you actually miss stuff right under the boat.

Does this make sense to anybody?

And next question, whose running the garmin with the clearvu? What's your opinion vs a lowrance unit?

I have a lowrance hds 5 on my little river boat and the downscan image is pretty dang detailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbb

Re: Garmin 74sv with clearvu or lowrance with downview

Post by bbb »

Pretty sure the GT transducers have the downview crystal. The CV are the blended.

I have the 94sv with the GT-52. Rarely use downview. Mostly use sonar and side view.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Ok. Thanks. So you use your side view mostly I guess around docks and when your nearshore.

bbb

Post by bbb »

I use side view mainly offshore in 20-90 ft of water to find stuff not being picked up by sonar or downview.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Alright. New question. Not sure if I just can't get the GT model transducer or if my guy isnt willing to look for it. But my salesman said we could look at simrad. Y'all got any experience with simrad?

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

hardhead wrote:Alright. New question. Not sure if I just can't get the GT model transducer or if my guy isnt willing to look for it. But my salesman said we could look at simrad. Y'all got any experience with simrad?

Is looking at Simrad to replace my lowrance. I’ve heard people not liking the go series because it is only touch screen , no buttons. Apparently it can be extremely frustrating with wet hands or rough chop.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

That makes a ton of sense. I agree

bbb

Post by bbb »

Which model GT are you looking for. I found a brand new GT-52 for $145 on Craigslist.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Hey there ya go. I guess I'm just now learning what's what in the different transducers and what's available. Not sure difference between say the 51 and 52. I'll research that. I'm not interested in the complete touch screen of the simrad go. I know from trying to use my navionics on my iphone it ain't easy when he water gets spraying