Endura or Riptide

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Endura or Riptide

Post by Redbelly »

For fishing the creeks and inshore rivers, is there really a need to buy the Riptide instead of an Endura?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
bbb

Re: Endura or Riptide

Post by bbb »

I don’t think so. I used a black, fresh water Minn Kota for 10 years in saltwater on my gigging boat.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

If you're fishing salt or brackish, I'd say yes since I think using a freshwater trolling motor in saltwater will void any warranty and a saltwater trolling motor will have stainless steel parts, anodes and paint designed for use in salt.. BUT as stated, if you wash it off after use in salt, a freshwater motor will probably last forever.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I've got about 3 Riptides in the corner of my boat shed in pieces, so if you are asking "Are the saltwater motors more durable / dependable?" My answer is a resounding "NO". :thumbdown: The speed switches and computer boards go out one after another and the older motors are not supported for very long. Ridiculous for the amount of $$$ they cost.
If any forum member needs a part other than a speed control or computer board, contact me. I will give it to you if I have it.

- Steve Stinson
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I am mainly looking at the tiller models with simpler workings than the ipilot types.

I just wonder if there is really a $50 difference?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

On a simple little fishing boat the Endura will work fine and last for years. The guys at Custom Gheenoe do not recommend anything else for fresh or saltwater use. Wash it when you get back. Spray some lube on the exposed metal parts. My Endura 55 is 6 years old, used 95% in saltwater, and going strong. One of the plastic parts on the tilt wore out last year. Ordered parts online and fixed it for $15. One added bonus is that the 5-speed models are probably the quietest trolling motors you can buy. I can ease right up to even the spookiest fish.

My new fancy 80 pound Terrova makes WAY more noise.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Yep, the 80 lb ipilot I had was quite the noise maker!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc