Cell Reception South of Alligator Point

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Cell Reception South of Alligator Point

Post by John21:6 »

I am thinking about making a run offshore south of Alligator Point and want to be able to check the weather map on my phone for as long as I can. Can anyone tell me how far the south one can be from Alligator Point and use a cell phone to find weather on the Internet?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Cell Reception South of Alligator Point

Post by Juan »

I think it depends on who your service provider is.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I was getting service near k tower w at&t last week.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Verizon seems to have the best coverage off the local coastline. On a side note, you will be able to see the weather coming for miles around you. We watched from Dog Island last weekend while two storms moved on to shore. One around Carabelle and one toward Shell Pt. Both storms did not dump rain until they moved over land.

I fish to escape the cell phone. :thumbup:

Steve Stinson
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Steve Stinson wrote:Verizon seems to have the best coverage off the local coastline. On a side note, you will be able to see the weather coming for miles around you. We watched from Dog Island last weekend while two storms moved on to shore. One around Carabelle and one toward Shell Pt. Both storms did not dump rain until they moved over land.

I fish to escape the cell phone. :thumbup:

Steve Stinson
Verizon seems always the best on the coast. IMO, voice capability can work from a few miles off the shoreline to longer depending on conditions, which one can never predict. It’s not like the old days when I had a three watt bag phone that would reach farther offshore than I cared to go.
Anyhow, I would estimate five miles for voice on a regular basis, data like weather radar less. Which is why serious offshore travelers who really want cell service invest in a booster and external antenna, or a sat phone.

Personally, my phone is in a dry box charged but turned off. The VHF is turned on, antenna up (unless boomers are near) with the squelch high. Since an ill fated snapper trip this last Monday I have questioned my decision not to install the weather radar service on my gps. Weather wise it was a killer day for me, with the NWS totally clueless.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk