What else can I do to avoid fuel problems and repairs?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pcbayou
Site Sponsor

What else can I do to avoid fuel problems and repairs?

Post by pcbayou »

I know this is a question often asked, but I'm curious. What can I do to avoid problems with fuel and repairs for my Suzuki DF115? In the past couple of years, I've had to replace an IAC valve, a high-pressure fuel pump, multiple fuel and water separator filters, spark plugs, hoses and primer bulbs, among other repairs. I've switched to non-ethanol, and I've kept up with yearly maintenance with new plugs and fuel injector cleaning. But I admit I haven't been so good about adding fuel stabilizer when the boat went unused for several weeks. The mechanic for my latest repair, the fuel pump replacement, recommends STA-Bil Marine 360. I have promised myself I would run the boat more often, which everyone seems to think is a big part of the solution. Any other ideas?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: What else can I do to avoid fuel problems and repairs?

Post by Juan »

If you've switched from ethanol fuel to non ethanol fuel, I think you've answered your own question. I wouldn't worry about running it more often with ethanol free fuel since it won't separate like ethanol fuel does and I'm not a big fan of additives of any sort but I do add Lucas injector cleaner now and then.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks, Juan. I'm trying to figure out a good place to buy non-ethanol. I seem to have more problems when I fill up at the marina closest to my house.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Non-ethanol fuel. Stabil. Leave it full when it is sitting in storage. Run it as often as you can. Remember saltwater is very tough on stuff and some repairs are inevitable. BOAT acronym for bring out another thousand and defined as a hole in the water into which the owner pours money.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks, fishfalcon. It sounds like I need to fish more and worry less.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Fill up your boat after you use it. This will help prevent condensation from getting into your tank, switch to a 2 micron fuel filter. Use Ring Free if it's a 4 stroke and Sea Foam if it's a 2 stroke. Always use non-ethanol fuel. If your tank wasn't completely empty when you made the switch it will take a while to get it all out.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Marine grade stabilizer for sure and non-ethanol helps IMHO, replacing water separator filter(s) at east annually and keeping water out of the fuel to start with. I've never found any significant water in my separator filter but I still change it annually just in case, the one on the engine is changed when I get the engine serviced along with the LU oil etc.

You just about can't wear out an modern outboard engine using it recreationally but they will die a sure death sitting in the yard not being used regularly. Mine is dying :(
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thank you, tailwaters and zload. I hadn't heard about the 2 micron fuel filter. That's also a good tip about keeping a full tank. Back when we used the boat more, my better half got nervous at the half-full mark, so we kept the tank almost full. It did seem there were fewer problems back then. It's a good thing she was looking out for me. :roll: zload, I'm sorry to hear about your motor's decline. A Bay Reef and a Yahama 150 are terrible things to waste. :cry:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

The advice already given is spot on. I have a DF 150 and the number one best move was and is non ethanol fuel, always. Also, if possible, pick a vendor that sells a lot of fuel. That way it’s fresh when you pump it. I use marine stabil.

BTW, I have had no fuel problems with my Suzy after going non ethanol although other issues have come up. It’s a process in salt water of time.

Two trim and tilt motors and corroded blow outs have kept me busy. But I’ve had it for 11 years and still running well.

Luck
EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Wise advice, EddieJoe. Thank you.
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Might be beneficial to have your fuel tank drained and cleaned, sounds like you have had a wrath of fuel related issues. I'd check all your lines and at the end of the season get somebody with a fuel polisher to clean your gas and pop the sending unit on the tank and give the tank a good cleaning and once over, especially since its had corn juice in it.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks, UFBeef. I see you're a Suzuki guy too. This is my second DF115, and I had pretty good luck with it until this recent bad behavior. I'll check out tank cleaning. I know it has been drained at least once, but I'm not sure what else was done.
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

pcbayou wrote:Thanks, UFBeef. I see you're a Suzuki guy too. This is my second DF115, and I had pretty good luck with it until this recent bad behavior. I'll check out tank cleaning. I know it has been drained at least once, but I'm not sure what else was done.
Ya, ya need to do more then drain it, especially if I nb has some age and has had ethanol in it. I just went through this with my Maverick, drained and cleaned the tank. It's a pia but if you dont get the big stuff out you will have constant problems.