Dark Island ramp

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

like2fish

Dark Island ramp

Post by like2fish »

Looking for suggestions or comments on Dark Island boat ramp. I have a 20 foot Xpress and was wondering if putting in at Dark Island would be an option.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: Dark Island ramp

Post by Redbelly »

Where is that?

Sounds like a Pirate hangout.....LOL
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

You should be fine, I've seen 21 ft Carolina skiffs put in, the canal is narrow but you should have room to get off the trailer, the turn at the end of the canal is shallower than the canal but you should be fine, there's PVC pipe marking a path out, stay to the left heading out. If you try to cut across to the Keaton channel, watch out there's several rocks/bars.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Watch the tide does get pretty low at canal coming back in
like2fish

Post by like2fish »

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about going there Saturday from what I’ve seen the low will be around 4 pm and is a .8,
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

watch the tide is an understatement! At the mouth of the canal and the first stretch out is very shallow at the wrong part of the tide. I've hit it wrong in my jon boat and struggled.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

I have a friend that has a house on Dark Island and will not use the ramp there. Too shallow to have consistent access in a 201 Bay Scout. He puts in at the Keaton Beach ramp. I trust his knowledge of the area as this house he bought from his dad which they've owned for more than 30 years that I know of.
Bolt79

Post by Bolt79 »

Lost a lower unit there on a big rock several years ago using that ramp...ain’t went back there since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk