bent skeg

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

STMU

Re: bent skeg

Post by STMU »

Salty Gator wrote:
I bet you have a porters rock guard. That’s different. Apparently skeg guards corrode badly ( electrolysis from different metals and trapped salt). More importantly, the drilled holes that bolt on skeg guards use create a weak point where instead if the skeg braking off, it rips thru the case. Here’s a hull truth thread w pics.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... st11742511
Ahhh, yes! You are correct. I got my terms confused. Glad I don't have that. Mine is definitely just a rock guard. I don't know how to post a picture, but it is different than the one from the link. Thanks for the clarification.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

STMU wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
I bet you have a porters rock guard. That’s different. Apparently skeg guards corrode badly ( electrolysis from different metals and trapped salt). More importantly, the drilled holes that bolt on skeg guards use create a weak point where instead if the skeg braking off, it rips thru the case. Here’s a hull truth thread w pics.

Ahhh, yes! You are correct. I got my terms confused. Glad I don't have that. Mine is definitely just a rock guard. I don't know how to post a picture, but it is different than the one from the link. Thanks for the clarification.
The porter rock guard is something he came up with I believe. They are supposed to really work. It’s really a lower unit guard, not just a skeg guard
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Salty Gator wrote:
STMU wrote:
AugustusMccrae wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Skeg guards are bad news, they create a weak point. Take it to porters or leave it alone
Just curious, why is this? Is it the ones that you bolt on or all of them?
thank you
I'm curious too. I just had one put on mine, and it was Porters who did it!!!

Very informative. Thank you.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I just read the THT link and it seems not everyone is convinced that skeg guards are a bad thing. I'm one of the "not convinced" . I've installed them on most of my previous motors and will be installing one on my new one as soon as they make one to fit. A broken or badly chipped skeg can effect handling and they're designed to inexpensively repair that broken or badly chipped skeg by restoring it to it's original shape and size while also helping to prevent further skeg damage. If it's hit hard enough, the mounting bolts are designed to shear off without damage to the skeg. It works. I left a new skeg guard on the wreck at St. Marks a couple years ago. :D Better the skeg guard than the skeg itself.
All that said, if you hit something hard enough, there will be damage and a skeg guard or anything else isn't going to help.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote:I just read the THT link and it seems not everyone is convinced that skeg guards are a bad thing. I'm one of the "not convinced" . I've installed them on most of my previous motors and will be installing one on my new one as soon as they make one to fit. A broken or badly chipped skeg can effect handling and they're designed to inexpensively repair that broken or badly chipped skeg by restoring it to it's original shape and size while also helping to prevent further skeg damage. If it's hit hard enough, the mounting bolts are designed to shear off without damage to the skeg. It works. I left a new skeg guard on the wreck at St. Marks a couple years ago. :D Better the skeg guard than the skeg itself.
All that said, if you hit something hard enough, there will be damage and a skeg guard or anything else isn't going to help.
On the thread, only one or two guys used them, and they didn’t seem like they knew much about it. Everyone else on the thread said they cause problems. If you really look around, there are a lot more that think they cause problems than prevent them. The folks that use them seem to be newer boaters. I chose that thread because it had pics. Skegs are cheap and supposed to break. I’ve had mine redone 3-4 times. Rick, I know you’ll do what you feel is best, but do some research. It’s mostly negative. Also, Check out a porters rock guard. They protect the lower unit, not the skeg.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Salty Gator wrote:
Juan wrote:I just read the THT link and it seems not everyone is convinced that skeg guards are a bad thing. I'm one of the "not convinced" . I've installed them on most of my previous motors and will be installing one on my new one as soon as they make one to fit. A broken or badly chipped skeg can effect handling and they're designed to inexpensively repair that broken or badly chipped skeg by restoring it to it's original shape and size while also helping to prevent further skeg damage. If it's hit hard enough, the mounting bolts are designed to shear off without damage to the skeg. It works. I left a new skeg guard on the wreck at St. Marks a couple years ago. :D Better the skeg guard than the skeg itself.
Did you see the pics? Looks pretty straightforward to me. That skeg should have broken away. On the thread, only one or two guys used them, and they didn’t seem like they knew much about it. Everyone else on the thread said they cause problems. If you really look around, there are a lot more that think they cause problems than prevent them. The folks that use them seem to be newer boaters. I chose that thread because it had pics. Skegs are cheap and supposed to break. I’ve had mine redone 3-4 times. Rick, I know you’ll do what you feel is best, but do some research. It’s mostly negative. Also, Check out a porters rock guard. They protect the lower unit, not the skeg.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Salty Gator wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
Did you see the pics? Looks pretty straightforward to me. That skeg should have broken away. On the thread, only one or two guys used them, and they didn’t seem like they knew much about it. Everyone else on the thread said they cause problems. If you really look around, there are a lot more that think they cause problems than prevent them. The folks that use them seem to be newer boaters. I chose that thread because it had pics. Skegs are cheap and supposed to break. I’ve had mine redone 3-4 times. Rick, I know you’ll do what you feel is best, but do some research. It’s mostly negative. Also, Check out a porters rock guard. They protect the lower unit, not the skeg.a little more expensive, but will actually provide protection and no weak points
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Love mine...

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

RiverRunner wrote:Love mine...

For clarification, that is a Porters Rock guard, not skeg guard. Looks good
Rick, porters is right down the road from shields. When you get your new outboard servicd, you could run it over to porters and get one of those. And Jesus, sorry about the triple post :roll:
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Nice looking guard!
I would trust that style a lot more then the skeg guard, but then how many people replace the bolts with too hard a metal? so it doesn't sheer off?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

sorry about the triple post :roll:

i thought you just really really really meant it! :D :-D salute3
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

onefishtwofish wrote:sorry about the triple post :roll:

i thought you just really really really meant it! :D :-D salute3
It’s my first time
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I think he just wanted to make sure I heard him. :-D We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one David, :roll: We could debate pros and cons but I'm convinced having a skeg guard is better than not having one especially if the skeg was previously damaged.
RiverRunner, That's a good lookin guard. What's one of those Porter guards cost? It does look good but I'm not seeing the advantage of the brace on the back side ... is it bolted to anything? if not, I would think the brace might pull away from the foot if the skeg was hit? I'm pro skeg guard and just curious ..
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

It’s your boat my man.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Juan wrote: RiverRunner, That's a good lookin guard. What's one of those Porter guards cost? It does look good but I'm not seeing the advantage of the brace on the back side ... is it bolted to anything? if not, I would think the brace might pull away from the foot if the skeg was hit? I'm pro skeg guard and just curious ..
The rod goes all way up to the plate above the cavitation plate, it has two small bolts he used to bolt it to that. Like I say, I love mine, I had him put one on my 25 Yamaha and then on my 50 Tohatsu. It's been 5-6 years since I had it installed, but it was around $200 then. I just took my foot off and dropped it off with him. Had it done in a day.