Local Boat Ramp Status?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Local Boat Ramp Status?

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the explanation, SG. Thought there was some weird quirk with it. I used to launch there while guiding but nearly got stuck several times when sand would silt over the ramp. I've also had to pole a long ways before I could run the outboard after launching at Sand Road ramp due to low tides.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

flatsbroke22 wrote:According to what I’ve read that used to be an inlet that was filled in years ago and now breached again.
Using https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer - their topo maps back to 1943 do not reflect there being an inlet.
Their photos back to 1994 do not either.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Andrew and I toured the St. Marks and Wakulla Rivers last Saturday. The National Guard had the road blocked going to St. Marks, so we drove back to Newport and launched there with no issues. Some obstructions in the water, but not as much as you would expect. There are mostly sail boats and some power boats up in the woods. We gave Brett Shields a ride to retrieve one of his boats and he said he made out okay. Has a thick layer of mud everywhere, but most of the marina is okay.
The floating docks at the Fort Ramp lifted higher than the tops of the retainer poles. They are still there, but are twisted up and will need repair. The ramps are okay, but again, the National Guard is not going to let you get to them.
Shell Island Marina - The baithouse is still there, but the covered slips adjacent to the baithouse are all fallen in.

All of the floating channel markers are moved. Mostly grouped up 5 or 6 at a time in the river bends. If you navigate the river, trust your gps, not the markers. The markers on poles are still in the correct locations, but are in bad shape.

The Gulf was beautiful and you really couldn't tell much had happened. I fished all of Jumptrouts holes since nobody else was around.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

So I have a question about Port St. Joe State Park - Now that the Gulf has breached the peninsula, are they going to put it back the way it was?

I am not sure this is right in a park where I can't even pick up a dead limb for firewood.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

silverking wrote:Got some specific references, flats broke22? I'd be interested in learning more about that. Thanks.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo1pBmHnKpN ... 0fy3j3shz3
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
craSSh

Post by craSSh »

Drove by Shell Point ramp yesterday, it looked fine. But Shell Point is restricted access right now.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

St Marks is no longer blocked by the National Guard BUT nothing is open.

I wasn't going to post this but some people have actual business they need to take care of down there from out of state.

Something tells me I don't have to tell you guys this but be respectful, drive extra slow and don't get in the way.

The ramp at the fort is closed and I highly doubt Shields will be open(I'll report back staying the night down there tonight).

My guess is it wont be long till its open.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Steve Stinson wrote:So I have a question about Port St. Joe State Park - Now that the Gulf has breached the peninsula, are they going to put it back the way it was?

I am not sure this is right in a park where I can't even pick up a dead limb for firewood.
The stump hole has wanted to open as long as I can remember and probably should have a bridge rather than the dam they created. It has blown out three times in the last 5 or 6 years. The ones at the end of the Cape will probably be filled, if I were a betting man.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

I made it down to Alligator Point yesterday. The ramp at Sun n Sand is open and being used by residents, who have houses west of the washed out road, to access their houses so it must be ok.

The ramp at the marina looks ok except maybe the concrete slab may have settled a bit, causing it to lean slightly. The marina is a complete disaster. Boats sticking out of the dry stack barn.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Wakulla beach rd was closed but is passable and in good condition all the way down.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

I called Shield's this morning about the status of their ramps. One ramp is open and they have ice and gas.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

John21:6 wrote:I called Shield's this morning about the status of their ramps. One ramp is open and they have ice and gas.
Came to post this.

The ramp is crazy slick due to the mud. If you have 2wd grab your tow strap.

At high tide it should be no problem it's just something I noticed.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I have a biologist friend who works at SMNWR. He sent me some ugly pix; mostly tons and tons of marsh grass & mud all over Lighthouse Rd and the canals/levees. He reported this afternoon that LH Road and the boat ramp are closed, but expecting to open in a few days. Currently, the Refuge entrance off HWY 98 is blocked. Wakulla Beach Road is open. Otter Lake is closed.

I should have another SMNWR update tomorrow afternoon. Hope FWC is not collecting all my kayaks down there!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Just heard that Lanark Mart in Lanark Village is open and pumping non-ethanol fuel. :thumbup:

Photos from the boat club ramp yesterday morning show work is still needed to rebuild the walkways to access the recovered floating docks. Hopefully they'll make some more progress by this weekend, weather permitting.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

silverking wrote:Just heard that Lanark Mart in Lanark Village is open and pumping non-ethanol fuel. :thumbup:

Photos from the boat club ramp yesterday morning show work is still needed to rebuild the walkways to access the recovered floating docks. Hopefully they'll make some more progress by this weekend, weather permitting.
Yep, went by there this morning. The floating dock is back in place, but the ramps are not. I did see a guy getting ready to put in, but I was sure wondering how his passenger was going to get on with him.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!