Boat repair recommendations

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

Boat repair recommendations

Post by tailwaters »

During Michael I had a tree fall on my Grady WA that was parked in my driveway. I was hoping some of you with experience could provide some recommendations of a local repair shop that could fix it. I haven't removed the cover yet so the full extent of the damage is unknown. Was going to wait on the adjuster before uncovering it. From what I can tell it will require some glass work to the cap of the boat where the guard rail was pushed through. The metal frame is bent (T-Top), The glass hatch at the top of the cabin is busted along with some nav lights, anchor pulpit and how knows what else is damaged.

Thanks for the advise and hope everyone didn't sustain too much damage of their own.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Boat repair recommendations

Post by Salty Gator »

The only 2 options I know of in the area are mikes marine ways and shields. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

How big was the tree? If it was heavy enough to damage the stringers or transom, and the boat was insured, you are better off settling up with your insurance company. If the basic hull is okay structurally, then I am the second vote for Mikes Marine Ways in St. Marks.

- Steve Stinson
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Steve Stinson wrote:How big was the tree? If it was heavy enough to damage the stringers or transom, and the boat was insured, you are better off settling up with your insurance company. If the basic hull is okay structurally, then I am the second vote for Mikes Marine Ways in St. Marks.

- Steve Stinson
It was a decent size pecan tree but it doesn't look like the stringers would be damaged. Don't know for sure at this time but based on what I can see they should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback!
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Progressive called me back today to set up a time for the adjuster to come out and inspect my boat. They also informed me of a couple things I'll share for others currently going through this or might possible deal with in the future.

Normally my deductible would be $500 but since the damage occurred during a named storm it jumps to 2k. Also they will only pay $250 for taking the tree off the boat and any cost above that amount does not go towards the deductible. The "disappearing deductible" that is part of my policy doesn't apply either during named storms. That's where your deductible is reduced by $100 for every year you don't file a claim. Should have just told them I cut down the tree after the storm passed and it accidently landed on my boat :-D. Oh well, it could have been worse as it was for a lot of folks!!