Lower unit overhaul

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FarhFrumWurk

Lower unit overhaul

Post by FarhFrumWurk »

Looking for a recommendation for a competent mechanic to rebuild the lower unit. I noticed a vibration when I was out testing a prop and I found my prop has lateral play (up and down and side to side). Not sure if gears or just the carrier bearings are the issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Lower unit overhaul

Post by silverking »

Shields Marina, St. Marks: Yamaha, Evinrude, Suzuki, Mercury and Honda

Sunshine Boats, Tallahassee: Yamaha, Mercury

Parkway Marine, Tallahassee: Evinrude, Suzuki
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FarhFrumWurk

Post by FarhFrumWurk »

Silver, have you had any of the shops do any gear work? I'm sure they are all good mechanics but not everyone has the experience with gearsets. I'm competent at motor work but I draw the line at differentials and lower unit gear work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

I would give Pete @ Sunshine Boats a call. Good people over there :thumbup:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Haven't personally had any gear repairs done (knock on stainless steel), but I know Shields/Sunshine technicians are factory-certified. Pretty sure the same applies to Parkway.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I have had lower unit work on Mercury and Yamaha motors done by Pete at Sunshine Boats, Parkway Marine, and Porter's Marine in Woodvillle. Never had any problem that wasn't my own fault after the work was done.
Pretty much any marine mechanic within a 100 mile radius of the Aucilla River is going to be able to rebuild the lower half of an outboard. :thumbup:

Steve Stinson