GPS Navigation on an iPhone

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ropeman

GPS Navigation on an iPhone

Post by ropeman »

Does anybody use an iPhone for GPS navigation on the water? I don't want a dedicated navigation unit for my little boat so I was wondering if there is a good free app for navigation via the iPhone. I just need to see how close I am to the rocks when running out to Grey Mare or oyster bars near Wakulla Beach.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: GPS Navigation on an iPhone

Post by silverking »

An iPhone could be used, but any apps worth having with the details you're talking about are not free. The Navionics app has very detailed nav info, hazards, contours, etc. Can't remember the price, but I have it on mine as a back-up or when I'm fishing out of town and need a reference.

Have you considered a handheld GPS unit? You can get them on sale pretty cheap, many are waterproof and portable using battery power. You can also find plenty of pre-owned on sites like eBay. I've had the Garmin GPS Map76CS for years and it's a great unit with detailed color charts, tide info, etc.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
geofish

Post by geofish »

I have a dedicated Garmin GPS on my Wahoo, but I actually use the Navionics app on my Samsung cell phone preferentially for finding my fishing spots. The detail on the latest version is pretty amazing.
Burning daylight

Post by Burning daylight »

I use Google maps on my phonße just turn the satellite on its not up to date and the rocks or structure it shows have more than likely moved a little bit so be careful but it has pretty good detailing I use it more than I do my lowrance
geofish

Post by geofish »

So the one thing about using my phone and the Navionics app is the small screen size. Has anyone tried using a tablet with GPS? I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 inch. Good GPS, and would run the Navionics app; I think it could run with an LTE cell connection or just download the maps with WiFI version and run the GPS on the water.
They're pricey for a tablet, but seems like it'd be a lot cheaper than getting a 10-inch screen on a dedicated GPS unit. What do y'all think?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

geofish wrote:So the one thing about using my phone and the Navionics app is the small screen size. Has anyone tried using a tablet with GPS? I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 inch. Good GPS, and would run the Navionics app; I think it could run with an LTE cell connection or just download the maps with WiFI version and run the GPS on the water.
They're pricey for a tablet, but seems like it'd be a lot cheaper than getting a 10-inch screen on a dedicated GPS unit. What do y'all think?
A tablet doesn’t have the power a dedicated gps has. Much harder to see in full bright sun
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I use the Navionics app to keep a record of my numbers and when I'm sitting on the couch and not fishing, I'll mark spots that look good and then check them out the next time on the water and if they're productive, I'll add them to the numbers in the Lowarance. If not, I'll delete them and move on.
The Nav, app (Boating HD) has a lot of useful functions: take and insert pictures, measure distances, log gps numbers, weather and tides, record and share tracks, and much more.. I use it as a back up to my Lowrance but it's well worth the $50. cost IMO.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I agree with Juan.
The Navionics ap is the way to go. I started fishing Lake Seminole and Lake Talquin this past year because my son wanted to bass fish. I used this ap to find and stay in channels, locate drop offs, etc. It worked amazingly well.

- Steve Stinson
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Thanks for the info! I might get a tablet and try it out.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Agreed on Navionics app, you can get the "cheap" version for $10.

I have used it on a tablet in the Bahamas and it worked great. I also keep it on my phone, and use it frequently, especially navigating to new waypoints, as it it much easier to enter than on the Lowrance I have.
All photos copyright @saverymill