Gheenoe questions

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Gheenoe questions

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’ve posted before about the Gheenoe my cousin gave me a few years ago when I mentioend that I wanted to get ahold of something expendable right...and it’s been great but I’ve always been worried about 1 thing, my big fat tail standing up on it lol! If I’m paranoid just say so. That’d be better news than me being unsafe in the thing. What I’m getting at is whatever is or isn’t on the inside of older Gheenoes. Do they contain foam? I don’t think there is any marine plywood in the thing, only 2 strips of wood down the outer middle between the floor and the top layer of fiberglass and paint. The rest of the floor is hard like fiberglass but not solid, if that makes any sense, like it could be punctured. If I punctured it there would then be a little daylight between me and the more thicker hull, correct? If there is no foam or plywood? Also I want to get it Rhino lined but not if I’m going to potentially puncture it without noticing something like a pinhole leak in the lining above a worse hole in the boat that would then of course lead to the inevitable.
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Re: Gheenoe questions

Post by SCALAWAG »

The floor is a single thickness of laminated fiberglass, the two strips in the floor is there for support, the only foam is under the seats and it is only blocks of styrofoam,if the seats have gotten water under them for very long the foam will soak up the water. Depending on your size and the size of your Gheenoe they are very stabile boats. I have been rebuilding these boats and there knock offs for years, I am working on two now, here is one I have finished the inside on. I would say get in some shallow water and try it out. Just bring a towel just in case :D
Attachments
DSC_5719.JPG
DSC_5718.JPG
DSC_5717.JPG
DSC_5716.JPG
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Dang right they are good boats. I had 1 when I was 15 years ago and now that I think about it it was the same way straight from the dealership - hard but not solid all the way through. I guess this is good news then. It’s never leaked. I’ve been using it for 2 years but I’ve been beating it to heck and back. I think I’ve decided I’m going to Rhino line the front and back and leave the middle undone. That’s where I always stand up and you might not have noticed but the middle is always where other accidents happen. Everybody is always careful with the anchor in the back where it belongs but every now and then you hang a Blackfish and things get out of control lol!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

When I first got it and redid it
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Gah...double post. Also even if you’re not a heavyweight champion like me, a perfectly mistimed and misplaced heel could puncture a Gheenoe floor it seems like. A slip, a snake falls in the boat etc...lol!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

It looks like I need a new transom though :bang_1 :smt021 :hammer:

What should that cost?