EPRIB or PLB?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: EPRIB or PLB?

Post by Juan »

Salty Gator wrote: I though the plb is registered to a person, not a boat. When I registered mine, I didn’t give them any boat info.
It is. I think that was a typo but I'll know for sure in a couple of days when it arrives. :D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Got the ACR 425 View and it is indeed registered to a persona nd not a boat. The only problem is trying to register it through noaa. Typical government website... won't work. I gave up after an hour of trying and mailed in the registration. :smt011
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Got my ACR 425 a couple of days ago from The GPS Store. It is now in the pocket of my PFD if I need it. Registration with NOAA was not too bad but you had to enter the data exactly as they wanted it or the site would kick you back a page. Once I put my glasses on it was a breeze. Glad you finally got in Juan.
OD
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Looking at some of the features, the 425 apparently replaced the 400 and now includes an infrared strobe and LED. It's about a $50 difference, but if the extra lights help speed up the rescue it's worth it.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Ordered a McMurdo 220.
$215 on Wallyworld

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
cbw5007

Post by cbw5007 »

Salty Gator wrote:
I though the plb is registered to a person, not a boat. When I registered mine, I didn’t give them any boat info.
Yeah, you are correct, I meant to say that a PLB is registerd to an individual.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

bbb wrote:
Juan wrote:
bbb wrote:I bought both. One mounted on the boat. One on my body.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if an Eprib is registered and attached to a boat, don't you have to stay with the boat to be found should something happen? )
Its attached to the boats console on a quick release mount. If given time, I can manually deploy and activate it, or in an emergency, once it submerges, it will auto deploy/activate and float on its own.

I wanted to have a device with the ability to automatically activate itself in a bad situation.
This is old but still relevant. I have both and always wear the plb. The benefit of the epirb is it floats and is water activated, plus the battery is longer lasting. The plb is nice as it’s on you but you must deploy the antenna, activate it, and keep it out of the water to transmit. Which means wearing a pfd, which I also use.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FYI, there are usually several PLBs listed as pre-owned with batteries expired on eBay. The prices look attractive compared to new, but the batteries aren't cheap. Here's some good information on service, battery replacement and re-programming from an ACR-authorized dealer. There are also after-market replacement batteries for sale on eBay as well. I haven't checked, but I'll bet a store like the Battery Source would have them, too.

From the eBay service contract listing:

This auction is for ACR epirb or PLB reprogramming service by an official ACR Authorized Battery Replacement Center in Dania, FL. We are also an authorized ACR Electronics dealer as well as an Approved ACR Shore Based Maintenance Testing Facility

If you are looking for EPIRB or PLB Battery replacement services, this is the wrong listing.

Important note: Reprogramming is NOT the same as Re-registering. If the unit is a US unit and has simply changed ownership, it most likely does not need reprogramming. It would simply need to be re-registered under the new owners by submitting new paperwork to NOAA.

Reprogramming would be applicable if the unit must have the country code changed for a foreign flag vessel or if the vessels MMSI number has changed and the EPIRB or PLB is also registered by MMSI. Most recreational vessels are not registered like this. If the unit is registered with NOAA using just the unit serial number, it most likely would not need actual reprogramming.

Programming Service Includes:

Full water activation test
Full transmission service test on ACR test equipment
Proof of passing certificate certifying programming and functionality
New Labels
New NOAA or appropriate authority (if available) registration forms (if necessary)

This service applies to ALL ACR model Epirbs and PLBs. As well as some NAT Epirbs (which were manufactured by ACR for NAT)

Depending on the model any ACR epirb can be programmed or reprogrammed to any country country code, MMSI number, or vessel call sign. The registration authority that the Epirb will be registered under specifies the programming method of choice for that authority.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

What I paid for mine when it was time to replace the battery. Of course pretty darn important to make sure it is waterproof going back together... EPIRB was about $270 for similar battery service.
Attachments
01D4174A-4080-4FF6-837F-39D58800305F.png
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Here's a compelling reason for the value of safety devices:

PLB Leads Coast Guard to Overturned Anglers

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — The Coast Guard rescued six mariners after their vessel capsized in adverse weather 16 miles east of Cape Henry Sunday afternoon.

Watchstanders at the Fifth District Command Center received an alert that a personal locator beacon was activated and began to call the beacon's owner.

When the owner could not be reached, watchstanders spoke to the secondary contacts and determined the owner went fishing with a group and were provided a description of the vessel.

The Fifth District Command Center diverted an MH-60 Jayhawk aircrew from Air Station Elizabeth City, who were conducting a training mission nearby, while Sector Virginia launched a boat crew from Station Little Creek.

The helicopter rescue crew arrived on-scene shortly after and found four people on the hull of an overturned 24-foot fishing boat, and two people on the Chesapeake Light Tower.

All six individuals, including the owner of the PLB, were hoisted into the helicopter and taken to Air Station Elizabeth City.

No injuries were reported.

"The owner of the PLB had just purchased his device in June and was the only one on board who had one," said James Cifers, civilian watchstander at the Fifth District Command Center. "This case could have turned out quite different if the owner had not bought and registered his device. We recommend all mariners maintain updated registration and keep these devices on them while underway so we are able to find them quickly and accurately when they need us the most."