How to on Pompano....

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

How to on Pompano....

Post by bman »

A guy on another site asked how I was fishing so I thought I'd post it here to...
Its simple fishing- Pompano rigs are double dropper rigs with Kahle Hooks from #1 to 1/0 ... here is a poor photo of the rigs I used.
Here is a line drawing that may be a little clearer....
Some have small floats, like the one one the right, to keep the bait off the bottom.
Others just have beads at the hooks, like the one on the left.
In both cases they are additional attractors- the Pompano are primary sight feeders.
ImageImage
I caught an equal number on the one with floats and the one with just red beads.
They are tied with heavy 25lb test monofilament. My rods are spooled with 15 lb monofilament.
Used 1 and 2oz pyramid sinkers- as light as you can use to keep the rig from drifting.

For bait the traditional thing to use is a sandflea- a small crab found in the surf.
But I could not catch a fish on one!
I caught all my fish on 2 inch pieces of shrimp... you could also bait with squid or small fish.

We fish from the edge of the beach right in front of the house we rented.
Early in the morning was best- as soon as the surf kicked up the bite stopped.
Toss it out in the trough between the sandbar and the beach- its probably 50 yards to the sand bar.
I staggered one in close, one a medium distance and one out in deeper water.
Cast it out, put the rod in a holder, plastic PVC pipe shoved in the sand, and wait till the rod starts bouncing.
Be sure to set the drag light enough so a fish does not pull your rod out to sea.
One thing I enjoy about surf fishing -You really never know what you are going to catch!
Last edited by bman on September 15th, 2011, 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Re: How to on Pompano....

Post by WaltDawg »

Nice informative post. I've tried fishing for 'em over the past few weeks, but haven't had any luck. I've been using a Pompano jig, which is basically a bullet weight with a rooster tail attached to it and sand fleas. Everytime I get out there, the wind a surf is kicking, so I'm assuming that is my problem.

Why can't mother nature cooperate when a man is trying to catch some Pompano?
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Thanks B...
If you release them they will grow!!!!
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

POMPS :lick: :lick:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Charlie2

Post by Charlie2 »

Charlie2 here, trying to finger out this forum. I can't figger out to to post s reply in the proper place, so need help?

BTW; This is a good thread with good information.

You have described the basic two hook dropper with Kahle hooks which I use, but I don't use a float. I do use an attractor of either a pom-pom or bead. I use the lightest weight that will hold bottom.

When the fish aren't hitting; try to figure out why? Move to a new run out(learn to read he beach) and try it there. Often a few feet will make a difference.Nowadays, I fish with small jigs, tipped with a piece of cut shrimp which I find are just as effective as a sandflea.

When hooking a flea, start from the top then go down through the little appendages(claws, legs at the front end) then turn the hook around to pass the hook back through the body, ending with the hook point just sticking out through the shell. JMHO.

Now; hellp me out on ths 'reply to' thingy> I am confused by the review/suibmit blocks being above the post a reply block. C2
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

WaltDawg wrote:Nice informative post. I've tried fishing for 'em over the past few weeks, but haven't had any luck. I've been using a Pompano jig, which is basically a bullet weight with a rooster tail attached to it and sand fleas. Everytime I get out there, the wind a surf is kicking, so I'm assuming that is my problem.

Why can't mother nature cooperate when a man is trying to catch some Pompano?
this is the kind of pompano jig I have used for the last 40 years

http://www.bombersaltwatergrade.com/pro ... ompanojigs
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Good thread! Info I've been looking for, thanks. :D
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

So I know pompano migrate in the spring down the beaches. What's the pattern after that? So there's a fall run? And until when? Just curious.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
Charlie2

Post by Charlie2 »

There is definitely a Fall Run starting when te cold fronts start.

The fish migrate West to East heading for the warm(er) waters of South Florida.

Pompano can tolerate temperatures down to about 67 degrees which will start the migration. C2
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I caught one Saturday on the west flats out of Saint Marks. Cajun Thunder with white gulp. Had a second one miss a white fluke at the boat.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

I had no idea you can fd them on the flats. Is that common? What's the ideal depth?
The Back Porch
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

certainly hasn't been common for me. First time ever.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Charlie2

Post by Charlie2 »

If the water is cool; not cold, they will seek mud bottom flats because the water is warm(er) there. They're in extremely shallow water where the sunlight is strongest.

Sometimes; they will seek deep water up the creeks and bayous. I've caught them almost everywhere as an incidental catch when fishing for trout and redfish. C2
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE LAST TIME I FISHED MASHES SANDS WE CAUGHT 5 POMPS RIGHT AT THE EDGE OF THE MAIN CHANEL GOING EAST, CAUGHT THEM ON LEAD HEAD JIG WITH YELLOW FEATHERS. THIS WAS LAST YEAR IN OCTOBER. THEY WERE IN WATER ABOUT 3-4 FT DEEP.
PA
SEMPER FI salute1 salute2 salute3
FUTCHCAIRO
Perch Jerker
Site Sponsor

Post by Perch Jerker »

Best pompano fishing thread, ever.. Reviving it so it wont get lost. Bman is right in the money.