BP & Bottoms Rd (Lost & Not Found)

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishWithChris

BP & Bottoms Rd (Lost & Not Found)

Post by FishWithChris »

Hit Bald Point early this morning (sunrise:30) to get a bit more intimate with the waters, work on my stealthy-ness; ya know? Unbelievably foggy until ~9ish when sun peaked out and started clearing out. Winds were low and water was calm. Lots of mullet moving. No pics, but picked up a couple pup reds, flounder, and oddly enough saw a couple bluefish.

About sometime after a while of no bites (it's a real time, check your fishing watches), I headed over to Bottoms to explore a bit over there. I hit my usual area and saw a few tails, but no love no matter what I threw at them.

Well, when I'm wading I have a trailpack that I pack in the following: whistle, pliers, soft plastic container, hard plastic box/terminal tackle box, two knives, net, and surf rod holder (quick dump of cut off lures makes for quick time tying another lure on, keeping it out of the way from hooking other things) to place my second rod in when I toss a float out.

Well, MY EFFING MISTAKE FOR TOSSING A FLOAT OUT... I was out at one of the points and see about a 16-17' old john boat w/ a guy (that I later found to had to of been in his late 70s, early 80s) heading my way. Well I had a recently purchased (from BBF.net user) rod/reel (and recently re-strung) in the surf rod holder in the ground in teh water w/ a float out, no more than 30yrds from myself. Well Mr. Boat Man runs past me 25yrds out at full throttle as I'm yelling at him to go around, ignores me, and runs over my line, entangling it in the prop and WOOOOOOSH goes my rod/reel in the water. I throw off my pack and dive in to no avail at catching it. I had to yell and blow my whistle before he finally turned around and came back and asked "what was wrong............"

Long story short, he was absolutely clueless. I asked him if he saw me fishing there and if it was his norm to run that close to people wade fishing; his response: "well, I saw ya there, didn't see your float, thought you were waving or something". My @$$. After I calmed down and let the fury out my ears, I continued to talk to him and tell him taht I was fishing, my rod and reel were gone, and what to do from there. "if I had any money I'd sure pay you for it, I really am sorry, I didn't see it."

That's when my semi-nice side kicked in. I attempted to follow what line was left out from his prop, but knew it had already been severed from my rod/reel. I cut as much off his spindle as I could before I said, "I can't cut anymore, I'm going to spend the rest of the time looking for the rod/reel you decided to relieve me of, permanently." I was calm, but frustrated. He paddled back to the ramp.

I canvased for the next hour, about a 1000sqft area, shuffling, throwing trebbles, heavy jigs with wide offset hooks, but nothing. Tried actual fishing after that but no motivation. So if anyone comes across a US Reel Supercaster with a blue 7' medium split grip rod, please let me know. From the ramp to the mouth, 300yrds out, probably either along the grasslines or it's buried deep in the channel now...

:smt012
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: BP & Bottoms Rd (Lost & Not Found)

Post by Harmsway »

Sorry for you loss, galantnole. :cry:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Sounds like some of the days I have. Teaches charactor!

Glad no one was hurt. Sorry for your loss but it could have been worse. I suppose he could have ran over you.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE MORAL OF THAT STORY IS IF YA SEE AN OLD MAN, LIKE ME, HEADIN TOWARD YOU , GET OUT OF THE WAY, WE CANT SEE ANYTHING, SAME THING APPLIES WHEN ON THE ROAD IN YOUR CAR. HA HA HA HA HA JUST JOKEING .
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That deal could have been a lot worse. I'm glad he didn't hit you bud! Sorry to hear about your rod, I know that was quite an ordeal.
Team Jolly Mon
RalphKramden2011

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

Bummer all around!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

That stinks. Sorry you lost your rig an the reds didn't bite, but that's why it's called fishing. get another rig and get back out there, away from that other boat. :roll:
Yours in the South