Armadillo -- ***UPDATED WITH PA'S SOLUTION***

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Armadillo -- ***UPDATED WITH PA'S SOLUTION***

Post by zload »

My wife picked up a little stray dog back when we first got married and I came home one evening to find her out in the yard with the dog's nose buried in a hole while she gave her a "spanking" for digging holes all over the yard. Had to break the news to her after I got up off the grass from laughing that they were "diller" holes not dog holes so I was the dogs favorite person after that.

My wife despised "dillers" so she was OK with me shooting them anytime/anywhere to protect the yard and garden but she hated to see them flop around spewing blood everywhere which I believe has already been covered as an issue. I was big into reloading back then so I whipped up some special "diller" loads for my 30-06. Had a 110 grain soft nose half jacketed bullet and they were screaming when they came out of the barrel. I got to stay in practice with my deer rifle year round, very little recoil and they just turned the dillers "all loose", no flopping around allowed...

With the EPA, DEP and probable drones around these days Pa's solution would likely get you a room in the pen on Capital Circle pretty quick but it sure was efficient other then the woods fire part :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

SINCE THE TIME THE DILLERS SET MY WOODS AFIRE I HAVE FOUND A BETTER WAY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. THE DILLERS ARE DIGGING FOR GRUBS, GET A BAG OF GRUB AND WORM KILLER FROM WALLY WORLD AND SPREAD OUT OVER YOUR LAWN AREA WITH ONE OF THOSE LITTLE HAND HELD CRANK SPREADERS AND YOUR DILLER PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED. WE KILLED OVER 200 OF THOSE LITTLE CRITTERS BEFORE I FOUND OUT BOUT THE GRUB PROBLEM, SINCE I PUT OUT THE GRUB KILLER OVER OUR 17 ACRE YARD, HAVE NOT HAD THE FIRST DILLER ON THE PLACE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Armadillo hunting has turned into a sport where I live. My best friend’s dad manages a plantation here and after a good rain we will go ride the bird buggy around and shoot them with a .22 its pretty fun but it's something about the rain that brings them out. Go out there Saturday night after the rain and ride the fence line. You’ll see them!
cast-n-stone
Site Sponsor

Post by cast-n-stone »

There ya go Pa, that's the answer. As a commercial applicator on ornamental and turf over 25 years I've found if the dillers can't make a living in an area they move on to try another food source. May make a test dig occasionally, but that's about it. Another benefit is an application also takes care of fire ants.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Well we all know that PA is a jarhead and they are trained in how to assault and burn out bunkers. Good things the gerry's and jap's didn't go running out like those dillos! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY MUDRUCKER, THOSE JAPS WOULD DO THE SAME THING WHEN WE STRAFFED THE BEACH HEAD BEFORE THE LANDING MARINES WENT ASHORE, THEY WOULD JUMP UNDER ANYTHING THEY COULD FIND WHEN THEY SAW THAT OLD TBF COMING DOWN THE BEACH HEAD WITH THE CANNONS BLAZING AWAY, AND WHEN I DROPPED THOSE 5 BOMBS IN THE TORPEDO BAY, THE BOMBS WOULD MAKE SOME MORE HOLES THEY COULD JUMP INTO. THE JAPS DIDN'T JUMP UP IN THE AIR LIKE THE DILLERS DO, THEY WOULD JUST FALL IN A LUMP.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I had forgotten about the blazing dillo story! That is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time!

We had a lot of them on a deer lease on the Flint River. One can sound like a whole herd of deer walking in the leaves. One evening I had two armadillos in a brier patch beside my stand and they finally met up in there and commenced to throwing down on each other. I've never heard or seen armadillos fight but it is a heck of a sight and good googly moogly they make a racket with all the clacking and screaming they do. I dang near fell out of my ladder stand laughing at them chasing each other back and forth.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

noisy is an understatement.

My chocolate lab got out last Friday evening and I was walking up the drive calling him. I heard something busting brush and headed straight for me, but I didn't hear his tags jingling. It was too dark to see much of anything, let alone a dark dog. About 5 seconds later an armadillo pops out headed right at me. I cursed him, but he kept coming. At a step and half he was about to run me over, so I put my laces down and bounced him back in the brush. Scared the crap out of me. Boo was about 60 seconds behind him.

Crazy little bastages.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Fun fact for you...one of an armadillo's defense mechanisms when startled is to jump straight up into the air. I was in 2nd grade the first time I witnessed this little feat. One came walking out onto the playground and everyone, kids and teachers alike, circled around it to watch. Our science teacher came running out with a camera and kneeled down right next to it for a close-up shot, and the second that flash went off that thing "screamed" and jumped 4' vertically. To this day, I've never seen a crowd of people disperse so quickly. :lol:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:HEY MUDRUCKER, THOSE JAPS WOULD DO THE SAME THING WHEN WE STRAFFED THE BEACH HEAD BEFORE THE LANDING MARINES WENT ASHORE, THEY WOULD JUMP UNDER ANYTHING THEY COULD FIND WHEN THEY SAW THAT OLD TBF COMING DOWN THE BEACH HEAD WITH THE CANNONS BLAZING AWAY, AND WHEN I DROPPED THOSE 5 BOMBS IN THE TORPEDO BAY, THE BOMBS WOULD MAKE SOME MORE HOLES THEY COULD JUMP INTO. THE JAPS DIDN'T JUMP UP IN THE AIR LIKE THE DILLERS DO, THEY WOULD JUST FALL IN A LUMP.
PA

SEMPER FI
PA, there is a reason why you guys were called the Greatest Generation and the reason is bravery like this. salute3
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Don't shoot them in the trap. They'll tear it up. Dump them out and shoot them. They're nasty and, if you throw one on a pile after you shoot one, they stink.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

RCS wrote:Fun fact for you...one of an armadillo's defense mechanisms when startled is to jump straight up into the air. I was in 2nd grade the first time I witnessed this little feat. One came walking out onto the playground and everyone, kids and teachers alike, circled around it to watch. Our science teacher came running out with a camera and kneeled down right next to it for a close-up shot, and the second that flash went off that thing "screamed" and jumped 4' vertically. To this day, I've never seen a crowd of people disperse so quickly. :lol:
That's why you see so many dead on the road. most cars/trucks can clear a dillo, but the little buggers jump up, into the grill or undercarriage.
850-273-8818