Bird down

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Bird down

Post by onefishtwofish »

Been chasing some gobblers, they are gobbling their heads off at first light for the last 3 days and twice we have seen hens heading to them at a fast trot. This is on hard hunted public land, so we knew we needed to get on them. I have passed on two jakes this year, one public, one private and I decided last night as I was still blanked, I was gonna kill the first legal bird I had in my sights today (I could hunt today and Sunday and the season is out). Bird gobbles this AM and I move in. The only place to set up as close as I wanted had zero cover and to get to it, I had to walk right by his roost, so I backed up a little on a road that comes from a field. I called sparingly and he answered. He came up the road, gobbling frequently. He gets to the spot I wanted to get to and hangs up, strutting and gobbling (maybe 60 yards away). I think no sweat, he will come, he knows a hen is here. An hour later, he is still there and still gobbling and I am just being patient. I had packed a lunch and planned to hunt until 1PM if needed. About that time I notice movement to my right and see 3 birds heading to him at a trot across a grown up field. Crud. Henned up again. They are too close to me and him or I would have waved and scattered them if I had seen them across the field. I get my gun up just in case as I can't see the trail birds real well. The first is a hen and #2 following her has red on his head! He steps out for an ID and I clearly see a beard and down goes Frazier. 38 yards. My first public land kill (I have called 3 in for others on public, just never killed one) and my first kill with a 20. He did not flop until I stepped on his head. The Fed HW #7 performed as advertised. I cut it close this year, but never gave up and hunted harder instead of getting discouraged. Even though he was a little 6" beard bird, with the lack of gobbles and the lack of tracks and the lack of birds after the first week, he feels like a trophy.
email turkey.jpg
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Bird down

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Poor turkey.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Good hunt. You did OK!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Way to go!!!!! He's a pretty "short beard"

Congratulations on your first public land turkey and your first 20 gauge bird :-D Public land birds especially are trophies, no matter the size

Danibeth
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Just got done. He was delicious.

Seriously now, get with Steve and hunt with me this year. We may not tear up the birds, but we will be comfortable and have fun.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Congrats :cheers:
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
Steve Sutton

Post by Steve Sutton »

I hadn't realized "one fish two fish" was "that other guy" until yesterday.....heck I lost most of the Adult Easter Eggs I hide for myself this past Easter so keeping up with multiple screen names is confusing to us "Old Farts"........Congrats on the Thunder Chicken.....and I'll be looking forward to hooking up for some duck hunting this coming season.....

Steve