Started this season's foodplot.

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Started this season's foodplot.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Got started today by bushhogging the plot. Gonna turn and plant in 2-3 weeks. Image. Here is before. Image. Image. And here is after. Image. Image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
micci_man

Re: Started this season's foodplot.

Post by micci_man »

Getting that time... I won't plant mine until the end of Oct though. Use to plant early and they would get to tall and non palatable for the deer to eat by mid season when it was warm.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

micci_man wrote:Getting that time... I won't plant mine until the end of Oct though. Use to plant early and they would get to tall and non palatable for the deer to eat by mid season when it was warm.
. The mix I use. Oats is good early then the rape mid season and the clover comes in good late. And that's with no fertilizer. Just turn in the grass and plant.

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

H&M,

What kind of clover do you plant? Looks like different clover species grow in different seasons. I like the idea of clover, but have never planted it.

My oat mix burned up this month but had a lot of activity in June and July. Chufas are still getting hit hard. I've had really good luck with chufas the past couple years.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

SHOWBOAT wrote:H&M,

What kind of clover do you plant? Looks like different clover species grow in different seasons. I like the idea of clover, but have never planted it.

My oat mix burned up this month but had a lot of activity in June and July. Chufas are still getting hit hard. I've had really good luck with chufas the past couple years.
. I always plant crimson clover. It puts a lot of forage in the plot late season till around March.

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

that is what I was looking at. Osceolas also look interesting. Apparently developed by UF for southern climate.

https://hancockseed.com/seed-varieties- ... dex-2.html
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My nephew and I did a lot of reading and talked to the Extension agent in our county. He strongly recommended a soil test at each plot ($7). He also strongly recommended Crimson clover. Said it grows well, can handle a lot more diversity in climate and soil type. I know deer love it and I have killed several turkeys that looked like their craw was pre-stuffed with a bag salad. It is also not expensive and is not an annual, it is perennial. I have hunted turkey next to a stand that is over 7 years old. Getting a little weak, I would replant, but the guy that deer hunts it is happy with it.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

onefishtwofish wrote:My nephew and I did a lot of reading and talked to the Extension agent in our county. He strongly recommended a soil test at each plot ($7). He also strongly recommended Crimson clover. Said it grows well, can handle a lot more diversity in climate and soil type. I know deer love it and I have killed several turkeys that looked like their craw was pre-stuffed with a bag salad. It is also not expensive and is not an annual, it is perennial. I have hunted turkey next to a stand that is over 7 years old. Getting a little weak, I would replant, but the guy that deer hunts it is happy with it.
. Believe it or not I never put out fertilizer. I let it go fallow after season and turn in all the weeds after bush-hogging the plot. I get a good stand every year. Image

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Got it planted today. Now come on sprouts. Image. Image. Image Image. Image. Image. Man it felt good today.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Looking good as of today. Even with no rain. Image.

micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Plots look good. Food plotting is fun for sure and I'm not trying to say you are wrong or come across the wrong way but I don't understand why folks plant fall/winter seeds way early. the stuff comes up and looks pretty but by the time the food in the woods is gone the plot is tall, tough and not as palatable to deer. I understand time is a factor when things can get done and you gotta do what you gotta do. I changed my planting tactics about 5 yrs ago and started planting my plots 2-3 week of Oct and it's amazing on how much more deer use them longer into the season. Adding fert to the plots will also turn the deer on to them better. Take 2 of the same kind of oaks side by side. Fert one prior to it growing acorns and not the other. I guarantee the one that got fert on it will be hit 10 times harder than the one that wasn't. I over seed with crimson and yuchi arrow leaf clovers. The yuchi gets taller after season and deer and turkey like it and the turkey's will nest in it in the spring. My fert and seed is in the barn and won't go in the ground until we get rain and it doesn't look like anytime soon.

Spring pics

Don't major in the minor stuff in life
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I have the rape, brassica and clover in there for late season.