Post hurricane mosquito explosion in the woods: Game camera

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Post hurricane mosquito explosion in the woods: Game camera

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Around my area south of Jax and north of St. Augustine the pre-hurricane things were looking great with few bugs.
Post-Hurricane Mathew with a lot of water:

Even at this point the mosquitoes were not bad at all. Three days post hurricane I was walking around in the woods north of St. Augustine in short sleeves and no bug suit. Now however, since last weekend there has been a mosquito explosion.

I was in the woods today north of St. Augustine doing some simple tasks and it was unbelievable. With a full bug suit on to include a face mask it was a cloud following you and an audible buzz behind you as you walked in the woods. I was driving out of the woods in my truck with my face mask still on the cab was thick with them. Huge in size as well.

A couple of deer were even in broad daylight laying down on the dirt roads in the open. Yesterday at 0700 hrs and 1045 hrs and today at 1100 hrs. I can only think that by being out of the woods and in the open they are looking for a reprieve from the skeeters.

Take a look at the hogs and you’ll get an “appreciation” of how bad they are right now…………….

Bring extra Thermocells for this week’s opener of Muzzleoader……………..
Brian
Quality Time
wally
Site Sponsor

Re: Post hurricane mosquito explosion in the woods: Game cam

Post by wally »

I have noticed an increase the the percentage of large skeeters. I am talking about the ones that crunch when you swat them. Would be interesting to talk to an entomologist on Mosquito types, ratio, lifespan...
bman

Post by bman »

That gives me the willies!!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Its times like that I never go to the woods without Sunsect. A bit of SPF (15, never hurts to have on) and DEET that keeps those things off me.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Wow, I had heard they were having an explosion of skeeters around Melbourne, but I don't think they could be any worse than that picture.

Too bad the government won't do aerial fogging anymore. A couple of good passes would help everything but the skeeters.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

MudDucker wrote:Too bad the government won't do aerial fogging anymore. A couple of good passes would help everything but the skeeters.
Over the last few days they've been doing aerial passes in St. Johns County where I live. Unfortunately I'm just a tad off on their map of their proposed fly zone.
Brian
Quality Time
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Dagum!!!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Big Bend Brian wrote:
MudDucker wrote:Too bad the government won't do aerial fogging anymore. A couple of good passes would help everything but the skeeters.
Over the last few days they've been doing aerial passes in St. Johns County where I live. Unfortunately I'm just a tad off on their map of their proposed fly zone.
Brian
A local fed here told me last year that the feds had stopped those flights. I guess the state of emergency or the Zeka gives them more leeway. I would find out who is flying and give them some GPS coordinates! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

hard pass. much less mosquitoes at publix
850-273-8818
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Sorry to hear abt all the sqeetrs in yr neck of woods. I'm hunting appal nat. First. out of Tallahassee. No rain here all of Oct. Bow hunted 3 mornings and4 afternoons. Havnt used thrmocell yet.hvnt seen many deer either. Been in mid 80'spast week