Ponte Vedra porkfest

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Ponte Vedra porkfest

Post by Big Bend Brian »

My neighborhood has a lot of hogs and they’ve again started rooting up more yards to include re-rooting some common grounds that the neighborhood just re-sodded from a previous rooting. Getting em one at a time isn’t making a dent so I borrowed a pig trap to help correct the problem.

(I think it’s OK to have a little fun with your kids as you’re working on a neighborhood pig problem………)

After carting it out to a spot with some help from a neighbor the kids baited the area.

One hour later I went back to set up some game cameras and there already was a hog snacking on the bait. Looking good…..

After four days of baiting the hogs were comfortable entering the trap. With 3 different sounders and a couple of singles coming at different times of the day/night it looks like there are approximately 20-25 pigs.

This trap is open on the top and dere can jump out

With the hogs committed to entering the trap the rootstick was set and the trap made ready. The idea behind the rootstick is that the hogs enter the trap and first feed on the two thick rows of bait (one on each side of the interior edges of the trap). As more hogs enter some get displaced off the large piles and one pig will find/move to the small pile of corn that’s covering the rootstick. As that pig eats the small pile it “roots” the stick off it’s 2 points of contact thereby releasing the door trapping them.

Trap & rootstick set

Rootstick ready to be tripped

Next morning:
As I walked up to the trap I could see the door was down and as I walked up to the trap the smallest of the 3 pigs hit the hog panel HARD and got its head and front shoulders out but it became stuck. With it’s excited LOUD squealing a large pig ran out of the woods and charged the trap and I started backing off. The pig unstuck itself & stopped squealing and fortunately the pig (sow?) ran back into the woods.

3 hogs

Kapn Skinny & future sausages

--------------------------------------
A week later………….Over Spring Break my daughter & I spent a week in the Key West sailing so I secured the door OPEN and while we were in the Keys my son kept the trap rebaited every couple of days…… now baiting only inside the trap to get them acclimated to entering without fear and concentrating their numbers in the trap:

Now that the hogs are comfortably entering the trap…… the trap and the rootstick is set for tonight..................

Brian
Quality Time
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Ponte Vedra porkfest

Post by MudDucker »

A Ponte Vedra neighborhood should step up to the 21st Century method of hog catching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFXhGoDnW0
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

some thermal and a suppressed rifle would put a dent in them for sure. along with that trap, you should have them under controlled soon!
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

I can tell you that most deer can not jump out of that trap. They will ram the panels until death. Seen it many times. If you check it daily when set you will be able to release them before they kill themselves. I will say when they go in my smaller traps like this one they are extremely cautious and very seldom trip it.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

MudDucker wrote:A Ponte Vedra neighborhood should step up to the 21st Century method of hog catching!

That's funny. This is a low budget operation! 3 bedframes, some hog panels and shelving parts to make the door and the door track.
Brian
Quality Time
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

The next set trapped 2 boars although the game camera photos showed that throughout the night there were multiple pigs in the trap but they didn’t trip the rootstick (I had set the rootstick in such a way as to make it more resistant to tripping).

Walking up to them they are not happy campers. The black one broke one of the corner hog panel welds right in front of us.

2 boars

My buddy just texted me and said that these 2 piggies were turned into Wild Turkey maple sausages and that they taste amazing.

The trapping continues………….

Brian
Quality Time
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Big Bend Brian wrote:
MudDucker wrote:A Ponte Vedra neighborhood should step up to the 21st Century method of hog catching!

That's funny. This is a low budget operation! 3 bedframes, some hog panels and shelving parts to make the door and the door track.
Brian
I recognized the "ahem" "engineering" on the present trap and it looks like one I used for a couple of years. A buddy of mine from Savannah sent me the link to that round pen. I thought it looked pretty neat, but I ain't paying that much to catch no pig.
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

These mobile sausage factories continue to oblige…….

Just set the trap for another round………………….

Brian
Quality Time
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Wow, y'all are eat up with dem pigs.
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Trap was sprung at 0233 hours by a lone 88 lb boar. Two minutes before that there were 6 pigs in the trap but he chased them out. Certainly luck of the draw as to how many you catch each time.

Interesting way to start your school day

Trap is set again.
Brian
Quality Time
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Lots of pork right there. I seem to remember y'all using latex gloves when dressing your hogs. Am I misremembering? Or did y'all stop doing that?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

You're right. I reminded Casey about that right after this photo was taken.
Not to mention he had to go to school immediately following breaking this boar down.
Brian
Quality Time
bman

Post by bman »

That is awesome... I have a buddy that got a trap that had a hanging door had to root into but they never did.
Maybe if he propped it open and let them at it for a few days he would get one.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Best set yet. The trap was tripped at 0349 hours by 5 pigs but prior to that it was visited by quite a few hogs but was not tripped. The 5 caught were part of a 7 pig sounder. All sows with the largest one at 108 lbs.

Door about to drop…..

Door down

Interestingly, this photo was taken just as the brown piglet was about to hit the hog panel HARD. It got partially through and hung up but then squirted out & took off running!

We’ll continue to bait the trap but will keep the door tied open for a few days to cool the area down a bit. After which the trapping will continue.

Brian
Quality Time
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

My kids & I are still having fun with trapping the neighborhood pigs although things have slowed down a tad with the hog population decreasing in numbers and the remaining pigs not as comfortable entering the trap. For a week now we’ve continued to bait the trap daily but have the door tied open to get them calmed down a bit. The only hogs coming in is a single sounder of 4 hogs with 2 other pigs occasionally with them. On the plus side ……I’ve talked to the neighbors who have had daily hog sightings and even had their lawns rolled and they haven’t seen any hogs for over a week now.

In other photos of this sounder of 6, the two largest have been hesitant to enter

With what appears to be a little trap shyness going on we’ve had to resort to some unorthodox strategies……..

It’s a start…..

15 minutes later and they seem to be heeding the subliminal corn arrow message

Although the wrong varmints seem to have gotten the message too …………
(we may be fueling another epidemic…..)

These are the two that are hesitant to enter

A lone boar maybe new to this arrangement

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh…..the baiting will continue until morale improves!
Brian
Quality Time