2016 Season - First 9 and 10 Point Bucks

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

2016 Season - First 9 and 10 Point Bucks

Post by big bend gyrene »

As the horn hardware goes, 2016 proved to be a solid year.

First buck taken was a big-bodied 9 point (my first 9 on the heels of several 8s) I named "Flame", as in 2015 he had a couple of really curvy flame-like tines.

Here's some pics of him from 2015.
Flame 2015.jpg
First afternoon of gun season he chased a doe into the plot I was hunting, following her to within 30 yards or so of my stand. Hit him rock solid and he made an arching jump, crashed HARD twice in an initial run into cover only about 30 yards deep, and left a heavy blood trail for about the same distance. Felt confident I would find him well under 100 yards away from the spot of the shot... but he fooled me. Didn't actually go much further. Only about 160 yards total, but after pausing when he initially ran through cover, he made a 90 degree turn then ran a semi-circle that took him just across my property boundary and put him about 50 yards deep into a heavy thicket on the neighboring property. Spent too much time searching for him on my place and only willingly crossed over my boundary when the buzzards made clear he was just over the line a matter of yards. Taking his life without the justification of harvesting the meat left me filling sick, but I was at least glad to confirm that he had quickly bled out and hadn't suffered long.
IMG_20161113_165504.jpg
"Flame" had been the dominant buck on my property throughout the summer bachelor season so I was curious how his void would be filled. Didn't take long to get my answer. As rut heated up, a buck I named "Bo" for being a 10 (some of you guys around 50 and up will get the reference) showed up.

My daughter caught a stomach bug at school this past Thursday so I kept her at home Friday and catching up on work Friday night I stayed up so late that I struggled to get out of bed early Saturday morning, despite the frost on the ground that I knew would likely push some deer foot traffic. Told the Mrs. I just wanted to make a big mug of coffee and scout from our second story bedroom window. While sipping on the java I quickly spotted a beat-up 6 point looking afraid to step into my largest plot. Stood like a statue for 5 full minutes before he did a 180 and limped off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeXI1oC17Zc[/video]

Seeing the beat-up 6 point and his hesitancy to enter my plot made me optimistic that "Bo" might be holding court in the plot so I told the Mrs. I was going to sit in the afternoon. Cool afternoon temps found a few does feeding about an hour earlier than usual. With about 45 minutes of daylight left two does that had been feeding in a narrow "sliver" clover plot crossed over into my larger primary plot, and about 10 minutes later I saw Bo's rack break into the picture. Thankfully he didn't rush in aggressively enough to put the does on the run and he moved slowly enough to allow me time for a clear shot.
Rack 1.jpg
Rack 2.jpg
Rack 3.jpg
With a wife and daughter that rarely eat meat, calling it a season and happy to do so with a few young thinner framed 6s and 8s getting a solid additional year for growth, Good Lord willing.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: 2016 Season - First 9 and 10 Point Bucks

Post by MudDucker »

Nize deer!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Buck 1 - Been there and one that, still makes me sick but it happens.

Buck 2 - Dang :-D

Good report!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
big bend gyrene

zload wrote:Buck 1 - Been there and one that, still makes me sick but it happens.
Even with the harvest of "Bo", seeing the meat wasted on "Flame" honestly still stings over a month later. :smt010

Here's a visual of the run he took... red star marks spot I shot him (was hunting from a ladder stand almost just over him) with red curvy line marking the solid blood trail. Bled like a stuck pig at the stopping point where he did a hard right towards the edge of the field line before running into the neighboring property. Had an old lab die last year that was great at tracking / had helped me recover a runner in the past, but let me just tell y'all... never use a Great Dane for tracking... dang dog ran around out of control just like you might picture Marmaduke doing, and lapped the blood up as we found it. Field the buck initially ran towards before making the cut was full of chest high Spanish needle plants at the time so when I lost the blood trail I figured he had taken a dive into the Spanish needles... turned into a human pincushion that evening trying to walk around through it looking for the buck. Cut the field VERY first thing the next a.m. thinking for sure I would find him quickly and possibly salvage some meat. Yellow star roughly marks spot I ultimately found him.
Flame's Run.jpg
Above shared, hard not to fill blessed having put just 2 adult bucks on the 2016 hit list and to have had both give good day light shots after two years of the bigger boys only making midnight to 3:00am plot visits (as evidenced by game cameras).

Only had European mounts done on 8 points harvested in past but wish I had been able to salvage Flame's cape in time for mounting... he had a really cool white mask thing going on.
Flame Mask.jpg
One of the last camera captures I got of Flame... doing the same thing that ultimately cost him his life... proving the point that being too horny (pardon the pun) always leads to trouble...
Flame Chasing Doe.jpg
Last edited by big bend gyrene on December 13th, 2016, 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

As for "Bo", funny thing about him is for such a nice rack he didn't look that old... no sagging belly, and honestly not the biggest bodied deer I've harvested by any means... almost has a fawn looking face compared to older bucks I've gotten camera hits on in the past.

His hardware though, another story... actually captured this video from my bedroom window while rushing to get ready for work one morning... only had my Canon camera at hand that second and not my "cannon." Was really worried at the time that might be the only daytime sighting he'd give me. Feeling quite blessed that didn't turn out to be the case!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L47eknns2Ac[/video]

Field dressed him after dark and quickly got him in a friend's walk-in cooler so haven't had time to really look closely at teeth, but eager to do so to try to get a better guess at age.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

congrats! Glad to see the clovers paying off.

I agree, Bo was not real old, but he had some good genes.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

congrats on the one you got , i know about not finding them
good looking Deer
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Nice deer and a cool video. Bo was probably 3.5 years old, but what a deer. It is frustrating to lose a game animal especially when you know you made a good shot.
big bend gyrene

fishfalcon wrote:It is frustrating to lose a game animal especially when you know you made a good shot.
Indeed, Fishfalcon... I had felt the frustration of searching for sporadic blood a few times in the past but only a half-hour or so and with the results being more positive -- finding the bucks in plenty of time for the meat to still be perfectly fine.

After "Flame" took his 90 degree turn and sprinted towards the field edge he went from leaving a long line of solid / heavy blood to not a single apparent drop, and that on the heels of 30 yards or so of fairly consistent blood that was easily discernible. It was like a UFO had come down to the spot he turned and transported him straight up in the air... spent a good 3 hours or so searching for him that evening, half the next day cutting / combing half the side of my property seeking ANY sign of him. Frustrating and sickening beyond what words will do justice.

New dog a bit more tracking-friendly than the goofy great-dane may soon be in order... not to eager to put our crazy Zeus to the test again. Picture putting a leash on him and pretty much experiencing the same thing as in this video... and, yeah... that's about what searching with him was like. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mNdP8l1EWg[/video]
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

nice finish to your season
850-273-8818
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Nice report. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk