First Gooseegg

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

First Gooseegg

Post by MudDucker »

What a weird duck season so far! We have been covered up with wooddrows due to lack of water to most places, however, none of my ringneck holes have seen much action so far. I have only killed 2 ringers this whole season so far. Got a report that were some ringers in a Leon Co., Fl pond so we gave it a try yesterday. Good thing for GPS or we would have been lost as a couple of geese in the fog. Hunted a lake where as a teenager I used to go with friends from Cairo, Ga whose family had access to a permanent blind. We killed a lot of birds there, but when the sun came up, it was obvious why the ducks were there. Now the lake, a beautiful looking ringneck type lake, is all natural. Didn't see but 20 ducks total and none came within gunning range. Oh well, that is why they call it hunting and not shooting! If this keeps up, I am gonna have to pull my fishing gear back out.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bbb

Re: First Gooseegg

Post by bbb »

Never trust a hunting report on a public lake.

Iamonia hasnt been the same since it dried up.

Now if I had backwater access like somebody on here it might be worth it, but you can only make it so far on a trolling motor.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

bbb wrote:Never trust a hunting report on a public lake.

Iamonia hasnt been the same since it dried up.

Now if I had backwater access like somebody on here it might be worth it, but you can only make it so far on a trolling motor.
I trust the source of the report, but it was 2 weeks old by the time I made the trip. Where did I say anything about Iamonia?
BlindHog

Post by BlindHog »

BBB, I hear you. I have felt the same about Iamonia going back to the dry up. I have been there twice this year, fired 4 shells and hit 0. I have paddled kayak a long way and seen people slaying ringers in the distance. Thing that ticks me off is one of this hunters came back across the lake running 18' BOAT WITH SURFACE DRIVE after limiting and parked at the second dock just down from Bull Headley. If anyone knows who this is or reads this -- I am calling you out.[/u] P.s. the FWC has been notified but probably didn't do anything.
Even a Blind Hog finds an acorn now 'n then...
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Been a weird season for me too. Seminole has been dead on the Florida side. Like I have never seen in the 27 years I have been hunting it. I have been fishing a few times and did okay on the trout. Will be at the coast this next week as the area we hunt in MS has had too much rain for us to get in the fields to chase geese. So we scrapped the MS trip and turned it into a coastal trip. Gonna chase ducks, trout and rum, not necessarily in that order.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The trout and rum should be an easy proposition. FSU Marine Lab water temp readings up to 69 degrees this afternoon. The ducks have been scarce to the east, but I heard plenty of shooting coming from Panacea/Piney Island the other day. Good luck. Don't think the FWC has a limit on Bacardi, Mount Gay or Capt. Morgans. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Now up to two gooseeggs. Seems woodies have left the river swamp. Going coastal this weekend regardless of reports. At least the food and views will be outstanding!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

We tore up the trout and reds on the first day. Left biting short trout in search of keepers and we found them. Caught a mess of reds as well. No tourney winner types, but had three nice ones for the grease. Fed 10 people and had leftovers and sent some frozen fish home.

Ducks? A bust. Only hunted one day due to tides, weather and lack of species we wanted. We got blanked.

Rum? A raging success!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?