Fun Game Camera Video Compilation

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Fun Game Camera Video Compilation

Post by big bend gyrene »

Fun little video I put together from game camera video captures. Guessing a few forum members might enjoy.

Really speaks to the wildlife diversity we're blessed (and sometimes cursed) to have in our neck of the woods.

All video captured less than 17 miles from the state's capital steps and with most of the cameras placed just a couple of hundred yards from my back door. :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0_2PWgYdkw[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
micci_man

Re: Fun Game Camera Video Compilation

Post by micci_man »

Some nice bucks you have there. Thanks for posting.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

That's a heck of a game preserve you live on there. You're a lucky man. Thx for the vid.
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

Thats amazing you are a lucky man to be blessed with such a variety of game Beautiful :thumbup:
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Great video
big bend gyrene

Thanks for all the kind words... blessed beyond measure and can't take much credit for foresight when I bought the land.

Actually NOT a big parcel as hunting land goes. 112 acres, but 5 make up our inside yard, 30 is water / a pond, 20 is pasture, leaving around 50 wooded acres. Reason for the wildlife diversity is that it butts up against a much larger plantation tract.

Thankful the property wasn't better kept up / nor well marketed when I got it as we wouldn't have been able to afford it... though it's about killed me and the Mrs. getting it close to what we want it to be.

Pick on "Bman" Bevis and share the words he uttered when he first saw the place... he looked dumbstruck and searched for words before he said, "You know... this place is like the world's nicest crack house." :smt045 :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Man that is beautiful property. The wildlife in your backyard is something to be proud of. Good for y'all. Loved the Duran Duran, that brought a smile to my face. Lots of nice healthy deer, turkeys and bears(and some predators). Is that the same yote at 3:43 and 4:00? The short tail one? Hair coat looks thin at 4:00. Bobcat had an nice little limp right after that. Congrats, thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Very cool, BBG. Thanks for sharing.

I'm jealous though. Only have a fraction of timbered acreage that you do, but even with our small tract there's a considerable share of critters running around. I need to put up a game camera to see what all is going on.

My wife and I are hoping to build our retirement home there so we can enjoy it before it gets too congested. We also have some growing sawtooth oaks as part of the fauna. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Great video BBG.

SK and anyone else not running cams, you're missing out. Can't tell you how many times I've been surprised by different things on my property, both day and night.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Very cool video. The black coyote is only the second one I have ever seen. You have a wide range of critters cruising the property.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

You must have borrowed Barry's horseshoe when you found that place! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
big bend gyrene

MudDucker wrote:You must have borrowed Barry's horseshoe when you found that place! :thumbup:
MudDucker, while I feel INSANELY blessed, trust me when I say Barry's horseshoe cast a good bit of fortune (LITERALLY) his way while I on the other hand went down the path of being cash poor for a while. ;-)

Property largely wasn't visible from the road, was actually off the market at the time, and I only asked Barry to get involved after a Lloyd neighbor of mine pretty much forced me to go driving around with him to look at places he thought I should consider. Deal pretty much fell in Barry's lap and once he learned there was a pond on it, I found it darn near impossible to keep him focused on business versus fishing (TRUE STORY).
Barry's Bass.jpg
big bend gyrene

Salty Gator wrote:Is that the same yote at 3:43 and 4:00? The short tail one? Hair coat looks thin at 4:00.
fishfalcon wrote:Very cool video. The black coyote is only the second one I have ever seen. You have a wide range of critters cruising the property.
Not the same one, Salty Gator, at least I'm fairly certain not based on the dates (one with healthier coat is from June on heels of one hard hit by mange being on camera just a month or so earlier). Interestingly, and to FishFalcon's comment on the black coyote, our mix seems to have at least 1/3 that pop up being dark and maybe even half. I honestly have spotted more black ones by eyeball (whereas camera more of equal mix) probably because they stick out more when looking out our windows. Salty Gator, due to your profession you definitely better understand mange than I, but will just say the yotes that it hits sure seem to be hit HARD. Have spotted a few outdoors while working where I wished I was armed just to put them out of their misery -- they were basically debilitated scratching non-stop at horribly painful looking open sores. Felt guilty I wasn't prepared to shoot them.

Actually caught some cool footage of one of the black ones running after scenting me some time back. I would be more aggressive hunting them if it appeared they were hurting fawn rates, but I most often see them hunting field rats and though they do chase fawns for a while after the does give birth, we have no shortage of spotted fawns around each year.. at least for the time being. Read a number of interesting articles that point to killing yotes actually changing pack dynamics and leading to increased birth rates / population in the yotes as they seek to re-boost population.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdUwBnrXYME[/video]
big bend gyrene

Salty, on the subject of injured critters, no time to go through captures right this second so can share pics/videos, but curious to know your take on what might be going on with a bear sow we've had around for some time.

Know bears have multiple teats high on chest and lower on abdomen but this particular sow has really well demarcated volleyball sized single mass hanging from her belly close to her back legs. Doesn't look to be slightly swollen teats as much as a single round protrusion. Will try and pull a few pics from clips and share. She does have a cub or two hanging around with her but NOT babies, and again just doesn't look like pics of bear teats that google search provides (bet that will get me on some interesting government tracked list :wink: :lol: ) and the mass has been large / the same size for a LONG time, maybe even years (need to pull pics to confirm).
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

So in regard to mange there are 2 types. Demodectic (red) mange and sarcoptic mange. Demodex is caused when a mite that all dogs have go unchecked by the immune system. It isn't contagious as all dogs( assuming yotes) have the mite. Usually when we see it, it's a stray that is on poor nutrition and has intestinal parasites. If they get healthy they can clear it on their own( could have been the case with the short tail black one). The sarcoptic mange is very contagious and very itchy. As far as I know, they can't clear that on their own. You d expect to see others affected if that is the mite. That is no where near 100% though. As far as the bear, not sure when they stop lactating, but it could be mastitis ( infection of the mammary gland) or a tumor. No way to tell without an intimate exam with an aspirate ( sucking cells through a fine guage needle)of the mass. That will be tough. Let me know if I can help. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven