Econfina Kingfish, Cobia, Bait, Red Tide & Solunar Report

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Econfina Kingfish, Cobia, Bait, Red Tide & Solunar Report

Post by big bend gyrene »

Subject header like that hard to know exactly where to begin.

Start by sharing that this year has found me doing the least fishing I've done (at least in salt) since moving to TLH in 2002. Really been missing my beloved Ecky as well as time spent with the first fishing bud I made here, board member Sharkman who tirelessly helped me learn the area between Ecky and Rock Island via kayak back in the day. Having noted a pretty strong solunar forecast for this past weekend I put Sharkman and coworker Ontilttttt on notice that winds permitting I wanted to head southeast out of Ecky and to run offshore past the federal water line hunting new grouper spots, kingfish, cobia, and prayerfully to verify the lack of any red tide impact. Actually wanted to go Friday and Saturday but settled on Sunday with the prediction of a bit less wind.

Before getting to the fishing, will just say that the Econfina truly is a balm for my soul. Nothing makes me much more happier than when I get these views with the rising sun. :thumbup: :beer:
20141005_082735.jpg
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
So back to the fishing... skies were blessedly crystal clear and waves down just enough to make running offshore doable / enjoyable. Went out almost 15 miles before we started exploring. Red tide update first... not an IOTA of evidence of any impact where we stopped offshore. :thumbup: :-) Bait update next -- TONS! First spot we stopped at offshore, we had glass minnows stack under the boat within a minute or two only to have spanish mackeral slamming them inches from our stern. Funny thing about the spanish is that they must have been in a "match the hatch" mood, as we threw countless silver spoon casts perfectly in the midst of feeding schools throughout the day without any hitting / even chasing our spoons. Didn't worry with them too much since they weren't our intended target. Back to bait, for the FIRST TIME THIS YEAR had no problem catching bait, at least offshore that is. Blue runners, menhaden, grunts, and tomtates all hit with reckless abandon when we found any productive bottom at all.

Now for the solunar portion of the report. Per my Time2Fish app bite was predicted to be best from 10:33am until 1:08pm. Prediction was dead on. Strong bite lasted until within minutes of the 1:00pm hour. Wish I could say we tore the grouper up, but can't though did lose several monster bites to creatures from the deep (unseen) that COULD have been BIG grouper. Scouting nonetheless allowed us to mark some spots for further investigation. 8) Instead of catching grouper, my species of choice, cobia, seemed to find a way to find Marine's Dream despite our scouting for new spots. Unfortunately no slot fish, but we did some good cobia tagging work which I truly enjoy. Despite the few trips this year, have tagged a good many fish as the mix has favored shorts this year versus larger keepers.

Bite was enjoyably steady at our drops with pink mouth grunts giving us lots of fun fights on our bait rigs. Kept one or two huge ones for the supper table. Highlight of the day was one of Ontilttttt's catches. Before heading out he told me that he really hoped I would put him on a kingfish. Some of you may recall, this request coming from the same guy that asked me to put him on cobia his first day of work, with him landing a 35 pounder the next day. Well, turns out Marine's Dream is Ontilttttt's personal Disney Cruise "where dreams come true." :wink: :lol: Ontilttttt floated a stinger rig at one of the first spots we stopped to explore and within just a couple of minutes his reel was singing like a dentist's drill!

To say he was happy is a huge understatement. :-D
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg
Honestly CAN'T say that inshore might not be a bit off due to the bloom just to the south of Econfina... on the way back in we tried targeting a few shallow spots for reds that have been very productive in past Octobers without a bit of luck at all. Still, no dead fish spotted, mullet in the area jumping, and we did try our luck with the sun still high and a couple of hours past the ideal solunar forecast time.

Can't lie, had such a good time getting back on the water have wished I could be back on it each of the past two days. :beer:
Last edited by big bend gyrene on October 8th, 2014, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina Kingfish, Cobia, Bait, Red Tide & Solunar Repor

Post by Blue spinner »

sound like yall a great time, like you said just getting out on the water is great any time
will be going down on Thursday for a few days
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: salute2
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Hope y'all put a hurting on the fish, Blue Spinner! :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

Great report! (as always....) :thumbup: :thumbup:
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

I finally got that king that I wanted!! :thumbup: :-D
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Awesome BBG! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Sounds and looks like a great day!
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

BBG,
Thanks for the trip! Just like old times.

Ontilttttt,
Great job fighting the king!
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Hey…I know that guy. Good job on that Kingfish. :beer:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Great job BBG, I used to know what that boat looked like seems another Joe took my spot! :roll: