Steinhatchee 30-60ft

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ifishtoo

Steinhatchee 30-60ft

Post by Ifishtoo »

I have a friend who is wanting to try some of my numbers off of Steinhatchee. I'm over here north of Port Saint Joe.

1) Is the red tide affecting fishing in 30-60' off of Steinhatchee?
2) Has anyone caught a box of pink mouths, black sea bass, and a few grouper this past two weeks?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchee 30-60ft

Post by Salty Gator »

You may want to check FS forum in the Big bend section. On that forum our area is considered the northwest. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Sea Hag marina also has reports I get several per month via email, have not seen as many grouper pics as of late and seems that most of them are from spearing.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ifishtoo wrote: Has anyone caught a box of pink mouths, black sea bass, and a few grouper this past two weeks?
Fished out of Econfina out to 30' deep a few weeks ago and could have caught a boatload of pink mouths had we been targeting them. No such luck with the grouper, but did have a king and cobe or two cruise by and hit our hooks. Wish I could help on the red tide status that deep out of Steinhatchee, but didn't launch there / didn't go much further than 30'. And to Zload's comment, grouper reports I've seen have shown spear-shot fish also.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Thanks fellas. I'll keep checking this post for a couple of days. The new moon is about now (tomorrow?) and that always "encourages" those bottom fish to feed in the daytime..... trout, too.

Trout fishing seems to have NOT been affected by any "red tide issues. Those NE & ENE winds will rule this weekend. Looks like a tropical system drifting east, towards western Cuba, will ensure some kind of easterly breeze thru 10/29.

Perhaps we'll get lucky, catch a limit of trout; then skip west 18 miles and grab 30-40 pinks & blacks, plus 2-3 keeper gags. I have done that many times in years gone by. That'll whip my old busted butt! Anyone want to join in?

After proof reading, I think that above paragraph may take two trips!!
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Thanks for the few comments.

This post has had 315 views, while only three gentleman have shared any info. What are the 312 other people thinking when they click on this post? Sure seems strange that 312 chose to read this............ why??
kom06

Post by kom06 »

I'm one of the 312 and am wondering the same thing you are. Just got to Steinhatchee about an hour ago. Plan to go offshore tomorrow and pull some stretches if weather permits in 25-30. If it's too rough we will fish inshore. Either way I'll let you know how it goes. Best of luck on the water!
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

Checking to see if the fishing is any better than at econfina , it has been slow over this way
All week it is taken me all day to caught my limit of trout
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

why not?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Ifishtoo wrote:Thanks for the few comments.

This post has had 315 views, while only three gentleman have shared any info. What are the 312 other people thinking when they click on this post? Sure seems strange that 312 chose to read this............ why??
Just a thought, since this thread was in the "offshore reports" section, maybe a bunch of "those people" thought they were clicking on a fishing report. Another reason is that most of the people on this forum don't fish steinhatchee( or east of Keaton for that matter). Good luck, hope you wear em out. Very polite of you to invite others, hope it goes well
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I read lots of posts that I don't comment on, usually because I don't have any info that relates to the post or I realize that my opinion probably isn't worth much anyway :lol: Glad I got to at least contribute something on this one, I could very well have an inshore report from Steinhatchee this weekend if all plans hold :thumbup:
2008 Yamaha 150
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

I'll keep watching this thread. Not sure if my fishing buddy is there this evening (Fri 10/24). He may be thinking about arriving late this evening, then calling me tomorrow. He's retired and hopes to stay for about 6-7 days. Sometime after he arrives, he'll sniff up some news from a neighbor or the fish cleaning tables at each marina. Thanks to all, your comments are appreciated.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

zload wrote:I read lots of posts that I don't comment on, usually because I don't have any info that relates to the post or I realize that my opinion probably isn't worth much anyway :lol: Glad I got to at least contribute something on this one, I could very well have an inshore report from Steinhatchee this weekend if all plans hold :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I didn't have anything better to do and was curious. Anytime I see you Post, I know it has to be a good fishing report. Often time reading a fishing report is the next best thing I can do besides fishing. Thanks for the invite but I stay close inshore. Lately it has been hard finding trout where I fish. I think the rain last Tuesday week messed things up? The water color changed from tea to sour milk coffee. About ten of that count might have been me checking in to see if anyone wrote anything.

Waiting to see how it all turns out. :o
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

No joy on the inshore trip... nice day a little breezy in the afternoon.
2008 Yamaha 150
kom06

Post by kom06 »

Went down with 12 buddies and 3 boats for the weekend. Had 4 in each boat. Two boats stayed Inshore and it was a bust. Only 1 boat caught two small keeper reds sight fishing down by pepper fish key. One boat ran offshore 15 miles to around 30ft and did reasonably well. They caught 3 good sized keeper Gags and 2 large kingfish all on plugs. Seems like Steinhatchee is pressured pretty hard. Hope this helped.