Gulf Reef fishing survey sign up required.

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fredhey

Gulf Reef fishing survey sign up required.

Post by fredhey »

Just read about this today. Looks like EVERYONE that fishes offshore will be REQUIRED to sign up!

All Gulf Reef Fish Anglers must sign up to participate in the Gulf Reef Fish Survey by April 1, 2015.
By participating in the Gulf Reef Fish Survey, you are improving recreational data for several reef fish species such as red snapper and gag. The process is easy, no-cost and will help the FWC paint a clearer picture of how many people are targeting Gulf reef fish like red snapper and gag and what they are seeing and harvesting.
Who is a Gulf Reef Fish Angler?
Recreational anglers fishing from a private boat off Florida’s Gulf coast (excluding Monroe County) who intend to harvest, attempt to harvest or possess one or more of the following reef fish species:Reef Fishing
red snapper
gag
greater amberjack
lesser amberjack
banded rudderfish
almaco jack
red grouper
black grouper
vermilion snapper
gray triggerfish
The following groups will also be required to participate, even though they are exempt from saltwater fishing licensing requirements:
anglers who are 65 or older,
residents who are members of the U.S. Armed Forces but are not stationed in this state and are home on leave for 30 days or less
veterans with disabilities, active or reserve duty military service members and their immediate family and/or an assistant who are participating in a permitted outdoor recreational event for which the Commission has issued a Military/Disabled Veteran Event License Exemption Permit to the event organizer, and
anglers with multi-year or lifetime licenses, and other anglers that are exempt from having to purchase an annual saltwater fishing license.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Gulf Reef fishing survey sign up required.

Post by Steve Stinson »

Soooo.... What's the penalties for not signing up?
fredhey

Post by fredhey »

This is from the FWC site as is the previous info.

Why mandatory? Why not create a voluntary system instead?
A mandatory program ensures the most reliable and precise estimates by sampling the actual population of anglers that fish for reef fish in the Gulf. A voluntary system would misrepresent the number of recreational anglers that target and harvest Gulf reef fish and influence estimates of harvest and effort.

Why are anglers that are 65 and older required to participate?
A large portion of Florida residents (18% according to the 2012 U.S. Census) are 65 or over. By including anglers that are 65 years and older, the Survey will be better able to sample the actual population of anglers who target reef fish in the Gulf. Including lifetime or multi-year license holders would be beneficial because it would identify which of these anglers are fishing for Gulf reef fish and ensure that contact information for these anglers is current.

How would this be enforced by FWC Law Enforcement?
The Division of Law Enforcement works to ensure that all outdoor users are well educated. As with all new Commission rules and regulatory changes, FWC officers will use their discretion as all Gulf reef fish anglers adjust.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

What if I'm a "want-to-be"?

I'm with Steve, what is the penalty?
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I didn't remember it but I guess they asked a question when renewing my license earlier this year as I already have it on my current license. I don't remember adding it but I seem to recall there was a question re: Do you plan on fishing for...

I went online Friday and added it to my 3 girls licenses, no charge just updates on the license you print out. You can also order a credit card style license instead of the paper at the same time I think it was about $6.50 including the handling charge. I hate the paper licenses so I got new ones for all of them.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

zload wrote:I didn't remember it but I guess they asked a question when renewing my license earlier this year as I already have it on my current license. I don't remember adding it but I seem to recall there was a question re: Do you plan on fishing for...

I went online Friday and added it to my 3 girls licenses, no charge just updates on the license you print out. You can also order a credit card style license instead of the paper at the same time I think it was about $6.50 including the handling charge. I hate the paper licenses so I got new ones for all of them.
Interesting. I just wrote Nick Wiley, ED of the FWC and asked him what the legal authority was for a requirement that Florida Residents over 65 have a Gulf Fishing Permit. The law clearly states that "no license or permit" is required, as long as you carry an i.d. Free or not, the law exempts over 65 from having to do this, in any plain reading of the law.

I went online and got one by clicking: "Purchase a license", so that is a clue right there that this is considered a license. Walks like a duck, etc.

FWC going beyond authority.

EJ
flogator

Post by flogator »

Be advised that the license is for 1 year. If you get plastic it is only good for 1 year
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

EddieJoe wrote:
zload wrote:I didn't remember it but I guess they asked a question when renewing my license earlier this year as I already have it on my current license. I don't remember adding it but I seem to recall there was a question re: Do you plan on fishing for...

Interesting. I just wrote Nick Wiley, ED of the FWC and asked him what the legal authority was for a requirement that Florida Residents over 65 have a Gulf Fishing Permit. The law clearly states that "no license or permit" is required, as long as you carry an i.d. Free or not, the law exempts over 65 from having to do this, in any plain reading of the law.

I went online and got one by clicking: "Purchase a license", so that is a clue right there that this is considered a license. Walks like a duck, etc.

FWC going beyond authority.

EJ
As a follow up, Commission blew me off. Says the permit isn't a permit, so what's your problem?
Essentially, we do what we want, screw you.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

So stand your ground and don't get one
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Yeah, trying to decide whether getting myself a ticket and going to court would be worth my time. Probably could win, but I would need to shell out for an attorney and the FWC has a staff person paid to fight these forever. If the rest of the old goats like me that will be required to carry the permit don't get upset like I did then I might just be wasting my time. In any case, I have not been checked by an FWC officer for many years so the whole thing is academic, anyway.
I just don't like the FWC pretty much doing what they please in spite of the law just because they can.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I'm right there with ya !!!!
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

I'll handle the permits, if anyone needs some help catching fish........ and could use some good numbers! Being boatless is killin me! LOL