Cape Horn Boats

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

castnetaholic

Cape Horn Boats

Post by castnetaholic »

I am not sure if this is in the right section or not, so forgive me if I misposted. Does anyone on here run a Cape Horn? I just purchased a 2002 Cape Horn 21 ft Off shore with 225 Yamaha 2 stroke ox66. I got if from a farmer over in Mariana and the whole rig has been well taken care of (289 original hours on everything). Does anyone have experience with Cape Horns or the Yamaha Ox66. I did a lot of research and specifically went with CH because of the superior hulls they produce, they are built like tanks (and locally in Milton Fl). I have always ran Yamaha 2 strokes on my rigs but usually run the 115, this is my first 225, but the engine seems like a workhorse. With regular maintenance, hopefully I will have her for a long time. Does anyone have first hand experience with this boat/motor?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Cape Horn Boats

Post by Salty Gator »

No first hand experience, but CH makes a sweet hull. Congrats
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I run a 2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay boat. They are built like a tank, very solid. Mine has a 200hp Mercury carbed motor, so no help with the Yamaha. Love my boat but it does lack some storage space. With cost of new boats it will be a long time before I consider buying a new boat over what I have now. When I can justify the cost I want to put trim tabs on it, but cost to use ratio is too high right now.
castnetaholic

Post by castnetaholic »

leonreno wrote:I run a 2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay boat. They are built like a tank, very solid. Mine has a 200hp Mercury carbed motor, so no help with the Yamaha. Love my boat but it does lack some storage space. With cost of new boats it will be a long time before I consider buying a new boat over what I have now. When I can justify the cost I want to put trim tabs on it, but cost to use ratio is too high right now.

The storage seems fairly adequate for my needs, but I generally travel pretty light. How is yours on fuel, does it have the 128 gallon tank?
castnetaholic

Post by castnetaholic »

Salty Gator wrote:No first hand experience, but CH makes a sweet hull. Congrats

Thanks man!
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

I have fished out of a 17', 21' and 25' cape horn center console. These boats fish great and have lots of room for the size. They can get a little bumpy when the seas kick up but ride surprisingly dry. I always liked the way that they weren't loaded with all the extra BS and were low maintenance and easy to clean.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I usually fish inshore only and don't run far, most trips I use between 10-15 gallons. It seems ok for a heavy boat and a thirsty carbed motor. The 22' Bay came with a 80 gallon tank. A lot more than I really need but it could easily run offshore on nice days. Storage is not bad for general storage, just wish it had some sort of horizontal rod storage, but I love it.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Congrats on the boat. My dad has a 22 Angler with a Yamaha 200 ox66, the motor is bullet proof. It's an absolute workhorse and has only been in the shop twice for minor repair since he bought it in 2005 (besides annual maintenance). It has 800 hours and is still trucking strong. In regards to the Cape Horn, the thing is an absolute tank. I fish with a buddy a few times a year who's got a 17cc Cape Horn w a 115 yammy 4stroke who mostly fishes offshore. The gunnels on that thing are huge and its got a closed transom design. In addition, tons of rod holders, big plumbed livewell, and a huge fish box are built into the bow. That boat destroys 2-3 foot waves. Iv been caught in 5ish foot waves with him before and the boat handled it well, not sure if we did lol. Iv been 35+ miles out in that boat and have never once felt unsafe. It does pretty good on fuel, 3-4 mpg. The only downside is it doesn't have a lot of dry storage, which you really don't need as a fisherman (maybe as a weekend warier with women and kids). I also have a buddy with a 21cc Cape Horn and its a beast. He loves it and says its the best seaworthy vessel he's ever owned. They are an awesome seaworthy no frills fishing machines. A lot of other vessel on the market get crazy with it and have all the fancy bells and whistles that claim to be superior, but the last time I checked the fish don't care about that stuff :wink: ! Congrats again and good luck with it.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
castnetaholic

Post by castnetaholic »

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses! The more I research, the more I find the going consensus that Cape Horn produces a no frill boat built for fishing. This was exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully I will get some time off in the near future and I will post a review!