Cedar Key offshore: Wednesday 12/14 Fog and gag

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Cedar Key offshore: Wednesday 12/14 Fog and gag

Post by Big Bend Brian »

I haven’t been to Cedar Key for fishing in a few months but I finally found a chance to do so before a front rolled in. My good friend Rich & I left Ponte Vedra at 0530 hours and by 0945 we were departing the CK dock in my 19’ Whaler Plan B. The forecast was for a front to come through in the next 18 – 24 hours and for sea fog. Well the fog was thick and we couldn’t see any markers or land so we had to nav using the chart plotter. At around marker # 9 the fog cleared and it was good visibility. Seas were unfortunately at a short interval and 2+ foot so the going was a little bouncy.

Just shy of 40 feet we stopped on an old number and it took a while to find any fish. I was concerned about the previous red tide and I had no idea whether or not grouper would be present-it’d been over a year since I’ve grouper fished this area.

Using frozen East Coast pogies the first drop netted a short gag. The second gag hit hard and started heading to the side where I presume the rocks were. This was a good fish and once on the deck it measures 31.5 inches.
Hoo Yah!! The bite is on!

31.5 inches

As I was fighting my fish I’m telling Rich to get ready as multiple hits occur within seconds of a bite. Sure enough he gets a hit and starts fighting a nice gag too.

My buddy Rich.
Both fish go into the fishbox

The next fish is thankfully the only red snapper we caught all day (and released).

We catch a couple of other sub legal gags and we’re having a good time…….

Some of these small gag obviously just migrated offshore from the inshore grass beds

We let out another 30 feet of line on the anchor rode and the bite begins anew.

Fog rolling back in…….

Then it’s Rich’s turn again………………

Rich n’ fish

With the fourth gag in the box we can’t keep any more so we switch gears and pull some squid out to catch a few white grunts for bait with the intention of targeting red grouper.

Chilling out…………

Using fresh cut white grunt we caught a few more gags and got pummeled twice on big fish that we couldn’t stop. The bite was slowing as the tide was coming up on slack.

The next fish hits hard and tears off away from the boat. It’s obviously a good fish…………….

We quickly measured it, put it on the scale and took a couple of photos. It went 16 pounds and 31 inches. It’s pretty sad when you have to release a chunky 31 inch gag…………………

See ya next time………..

With that we packed up with the intention of heading inshore and trying the grass flats to see if any trout were home.

On the flats we eventually found the trout and the only place we found them was in less than 4 feet of water. The fog was approaching and I made the comment that if we don’t leave now we’ll be naving by the chart plotter again. Twenty minutes later we were engulfed by the fog which also shut the trout bite down so we headed in. You can’t see anything and only about 50 yards from the outside ramp could you see land.

Rich n a pretty lil’ 16” trout

Water temp was 65 degrees near 40 feet and 63 degrees in the grass flats behind the islands. There was no grass on the surface and trolling for grouper would have been no problem. The current was honking and 4 ounces was necessary to hold bottom. Offshore we were mostly surrounded by fog. Heck that went for inshore too. The grouper bite ranged from full on hit-hard and hold-on to a more prevalent soft-bite and you don’t know a fish was on until you slowly lifted your rod (using circle hooks) and the rod loads up and the fish hook themselves (I’ve found they tend to do this once the water starts getting cooler). We only anchored twice but each time we let out more anchor rode we caught a couple more gag. We only caught 4 species for the day; gag, red snapper, white grunt and spotted seatrout.

It definitely was a fun day!! Gotta love Cedar Key!

Hoo Yah!!
Brian
Quality Time
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Cedar Key offshore: Wednesday 12/14 Fog and gag

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Great report as always. Great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

10-4 on the love CK. the trout and red bite have been better than normal for this time of the year on the flats.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Nize trip!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Always a great day fishing! Enjoyed the photos and report.