April Grouper

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

April Grouper

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Did anyone else chase grouper this weekend? Headed out of St. Marks Saturday. Caught a bunch of grouper, but most were shy of 24". Also managed a king and big Spanish. Had a lot of fun playing with the side imaging Hummingbird/KVD unit that came on the bay boat.

In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
bbb

Re: April Grouper

Post by bbb »

How does the side image do in saltwater? I know there is a saltwater mode on the unit. I'm seeing tires, logs and rocks in the river. Gonna be at St Joe later this week and hope to find some fishing spots using the side image.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

well, I didn't realize that there is a saltwater setting. I'll have to look into that. The imaging is awesome! We ran the bottom machine on half the screen and the side imaging with 50' range on each side. Can mark any structure in that 100' swath and circle back. Clarity was good and you could easily see the different types of structure.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We had similar results around dog island. We found a few keepers but didn't limit, caught a pile of nice red snapper. . 2 guys dove and said the viz was terrible, shot a few nice hogs. Sunday in was much calmer and we went to a public reef in about 70 feet and wore out the ajs and red and black snapper. Lost a bunch to goliaths and sharks. But had fun catching.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

How far offshore do you have to run to target these fish? I've been wanting to do some offshore bottom fishing / trolling but have very little experience at it.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
bbb

Post by bbb »

jsaunders wrote:How far offshore do you have to run to target these fish? I've been wanting to do some offshore bottom fishing / trolling but have very little experience at it.
There is live bottom within sight of Dog Island and St George. So i would say 7-9 miles.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

jsaunders wrote:How far offshore do you have to run to target these fish? I've been wanting to do some offshore bottom fishing / trolling but have very little experience at it.
Gag grouper are open in state waters for 4 counties. State waters go to 9 miles out. So, anywhere inside 9 miles if you want to keep gags.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven