Back In The Saddle Again

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Back In The Saddle Again

Post by big bend gyrene »

Been over 6 months since Marine's Dream touched salt water so a few weeks ago I started trying to line up a trip with Bman. Several of the last few years we'd made early trips out together for cobia and they all had proved fairly successful as well as fairly entertaining (both lost monster cobes due to "logistics" slip-ups by the other :lol: ).

Well, this spring twice in a row, things just didn't work out. Though Bman somehow never seems to let business get in the way of duck hunting trips ( :roll:), he kept pulling the Lucy Van Pelt "Peanuts" football yanking trick (WE GOT TO GO!!! WAIT, NOW I CAN'T GO AS I GOT'S TO FATTEN THE BANK ACCOUNT!") leaving this poor Charlie Brown struggling to get his cobia game back on.

So this past week after Bman yanked the football away for the second time I gave a short-notice holler to forum member Rhettley and being a fine fellow with his priorities in the right place he agreed to make a trip out with less than 24 hours notice. :smt045

With neither of us having been out in many moons, prep work found us getting out a bit late to launch in the skinny waters of my beloved Econfina, or for that matter even the lighthouse. Trying to make lemonade out of lemons, we decided to launch from the Fort and try a spot or two southwest of my typical haunts.
Fort Launch.jpg
Water was very nice in the morning with enough cloud cover to make for a beautiful backdrop and blessedly mild temps.
Sun Rays.jpg
Had no problem catching pins in the flats, though we should have run out about 30 minutes sooner as slack conditions at low tide really picked up once the tide turned and started ripping in. We made a choppy ride out averaging about 9 knots per hour. First spot we dropped we quickly caught a nice Spanish but then had to wait a while before the action really kicked in.

First big hit came off a stinger rig floating behind the boat. Trying to be the generous sort, I let Rhettley take the first fish. Well, as fate would have it about 3/4 of the way through his fight with the King we see two cobia accompanying it and within seconds of seeing them, two bottom-rig rods we have off the stern start singing. I quickly set the hook on one fish while Rhettley tried to seal the deal with the other while at the same time holding the rod that is still connecting him to his King. Rhettley's cobia came unbuttoned after just a second or two so we focused on putting what meat we could into the boat.

First in was Rhettley's King... hard to beat the beauty of the iridescent colors on the kings!
Rhettley.jpg
Thankfully we managed to get the cobia in as well. While not the longest cobe I've caught, was a really well-rounded (literally :wink:) fish. Actually had enough meat on it that it allowed me to fill fish orders from a dozen or so co-workers.
Cobe.jpg
Cobe 2.jpg
Truthfully, after we landed the fish things were kind of slow. Managed to catch and tag one short cobe (30' fork / 33" total length) and lost a few nice fish because of time between bites and being just a second or two slow on the draw. Though we found a few nice fish, we did NOT see much bait offshore nor did we see any surface feeding activity. Hopefully the activity level will only get better in the coming weeks ahead as things further warm up.

Was hoping the trip out would drop the cobia fever a degree or two, but actually had the opposite effect. Can't wait to get back out again! :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Back In The Saddle Again

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Those are 2 very nice fish, BBG. If I caught a fish that big, my day would be done and wouldn't matter if I caught anything else. Nice job, guys.
Yours in the South
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

nice bbg
if you need ex call
I will send David i think tonight will be it for them
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Nice report. And fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Looking for something else, got tangled up with this feller :smt005 ....12 wt made short work of him, never check to see if he was legal as we had no cooler :(
Attachments
fly.jpg
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

It was a great day on the water! Looking forward to the next trip. Maybe even tomorrow... :-D
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

BOOM!
Awesome BBG...

woop
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
big bend gyrene

Gulf Coast wrote:Looking for something else, got tangled up with this feller :smt005 ....12 wt made short work of him, never check to see if he was legal as we had no cooler :(
Nice catch and cool pic, Gulf Coast! Fishing with a 12 wt but with no cooler aboard... suspect I know what you might be after! :-) If I'm right, good luck on the mission! :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Very nice Report sir! Miss fishing with you!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

big bend gyrene wrote:
Gulf Coast wrote:Looking for something else, got tangled up with this feller :smt005 ....12 wt made short work of him, never check to see if he was legal as we had no cooler :(
Nice catch and cool pic, Gulf Coast! Fishing with a 12 wt but with no cooler aboard... suspect I know what you might be after! :-) If I'm right, good luck on the mission! :thumbup: :beer:
He was shiner fishing. :wink:

Good job as usual BBG. You haven't lost the touch after the lay-off.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

True....shinners !!! :smt005
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

Great Pictures . Thanks for sharing . How deep were you fishing? Been a while since we have been off shore and looking forward to this. :thumbup:
big bend gyrene

Carlabear wrote:Great Pictures . Thanks for sharing . How deep were you fishing? Been a while since we have been off shore and looking forward to this. :thumbup:
Carlabear, PM sent.