Mid-July Cobe Trip, Surprising Find, & Some Bass Action

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Mid-July Cobe Trip, Surprising Find, & Some Bass Action

Post by big bend gyrene »

Life's gotten so busy I haven't had time to fish much nor post reports. Made what I think was only my 3rd salt trip of 2017 mid-July. Fellow forum member Ontiltttttt pushed the trip a bit as he's entering 2nd year of med-school and he had a rare day free.

Went out with a mission of finding cobia and we were successful on that front. Ontiltttttt was first putting a fish in the boat, though... well... he actually grabbed a rod out of my hands to do so! :lol:
Rod Hog.jpg
Joe's Cobe.jpg
We didn't exactly have a red hot day, though we found plenty of bait around with some of it being harassed. Managed to pick a spanish or two off the bait schools and lost a king, but then resumed our hunt for more cobes and it was hours before we got the next hit.

I wasn't as generous with the rod the 2nd go round and ultimately boated a 40" cobe. Pretty rare I name the cobes I catch, but did so with this one. Named it "Chief Osceola."
Chief Osceola.jpg
Why Chief Osceola? Well, turns out it was hiding a limestone point in its gut! Guess it scooped a piece of limestone off the bottom trying to eat a crab or some other goody.
Sea Point.jpg
Fast forward a week and Ontiltttttt was bending my arm for one more saltwater trip and I told him I didn't think the weather was going to cooperate and I really didn't have time to go coastal again with about 20 acres of fields to cut. He settled on an offer for evening bass fishing, and, well... yet again an old comment he made about my being the man to make his fishing dreams come true seemed to be pretty spot on. ;-) Will say this about Ontiltttttt, you don't have to wonder whether he truly enjoys fishing or not. :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aweDIjnlzRM[/video]

Bass weighed just a few ounces shy of 7 pounds. Huge head on her but as the picture shows her belly was relatively lean when we caught her.
072917 Joe Chen Bass 2.jpg
Also used the trip to do just a bit of pond management. Started catching some smaller fish this year and decided to start thinning the herd just a bit... put the big girl back but did keep some of the smaller fish we caught. Ontiltttttt was pretty happy about that. :lick:
Nice Mess.jpg
Never one to let good fish go to waste, Ontiltttttt sent a picture to me soon as he got home giving a big thumbs up on the fried bass.
IMG952987.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Mid-July Cobe Trip, Surprising Find, & Some Bass Action

Post by silverking »

Great report and fine ling. One question though... Couldn't you guys get a little more excited about that bass? I mean, come on, that was a hawg!! :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Cjohn10

Post by Cjohn10 »

Is that a personal pond that you own? That looks like really good water to be fishing in.
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

Gotta change your forum name to "Walt Disney World." Where all your fishing dreams come true! :-D
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Cjohn10 wrote:Is that a personal pond that you own? That looks like really good water to be fishing in.
Shared ownership with two neighbors. Feel blessed beyond measure when I find time to fish it.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Man that's awesome some real nice fish, and looks delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Good looking fried bass, Ontillllt. I'm glad you had fun bringing the big ones in! :-D
Yours in the South
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice fish, congrats. This has been a great spring and summer for cobia
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven