MB Offshore Cobia 8/13

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

MB Offshore Cobia 8/13

Post by bbb »

Hit the water at 10:30 and headed out to 60'. Snapper were biting but they were all 14-15".
Put a 1/3 piece of cigar minnow down on a Calcutta 400 and something hit it and tried to go to China. After 3-4 runs towards the reef, taking drag, I just knew I had a big snapper or grouper. Then the fight changed and the fish was pushing towards the surface. Now I was thinking shark. He surfaced 20 yards away and it was too dark for a shark. Gave the rod to my son and went to get the gaff. Cough Cough, the gaff did not make it in the boat this morning. I pulled out the Rapala grippers and 20 minutes later he was boatside and I got him lipped. 42" at the fork. 26#s on the Rapala after being on ice for 5 hours.

niceShoot

Re: MB Offshore Cobia 8/13

Post by niceShoot »

Nice fish! Where'd you run out of?
niceShoot

Post by niceShoot »

Oh, Mexico Beach! Ha. How was the weather?
bbb

MB Offshore Cobia 8/13

Post by bbb »

Weather was fine. No rain. 10-15 breeze. Still some 3' rollers. They were stacked kinda tight but little chop. 60" trolling motor shaft came completely out of the water several times while on spot lock.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Suweet!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Awesome report and pics! :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945