Cobia Bite On Fire!

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Cobia Bite On Fire!

Post by big bend gyrene »

Went out on August 19th with first fishing friend I made in the Big Bend region, Sharkman, who a few years back relocated to South Florida. He called sharing that he was jonesing to drive up and chase some cobes and to take a friend from South Florida to show him how good the cobe fishing can be, so I promised him I'd do my best.

In the past it's seemed when I most badly wanted to put guest on cobes that's when it's proven the toughest to find a bite. That was blessedly NOT the case this trip, though morning storms had us having to hang out on land until things started clearing around 10am.

Sharkman's buddy literally got a keeper cobe on the hook seconds after making his very first drop of the day. :D Hooked it so fast I didn't have time to even start my cameras filming. Did manage to capture most of the other bites and the video tells the tale better than more words will. Anybody recognizes the song intro it was picked a bit tongue in cheek -- titled aptly matched the bite AND the afternoon temps. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qp3qr2q10[/video]

Do want to share just a few accompanying pictures though, and unfortunately not for a happy reason... few weeks ago folks on the forum were discussing the worst experience with rudeness they had on the water... well, mine was this trip... the approach in the video at the 2:40 mark was bad enough but what really burned me up was the same guy gunning his engine next to us while we were actively fighting a fish AND with his boat VERY CLOSE TO A FAMILY OUT DIVING! He made more than a few asinine decisions, one being pulling up to a boat with an owner who carries a mega zoom camera with him most every trip. :lol:

Know how to know when you're too close to another boat? When the occupants of the other boat are able to clearly see tramp stamps on your own boat.
IMG_2096.jpg
Have some REALLY good Georgia friends on this board and hate it that my prediction in the video proved true... but... reviewing the pics back home saw I was right on the call. You would think a guy with such a patriotic wrap wouldn't be an ass to a guy with "Marine's Dream" clearly visible on his boat, but well, sadly as the video shows that wasn't the case and all joking aside after we'd given him and his crew no real grief.
IMG_2092.JPG
Anybody know him you can share with him that when he left so did the bad karma. ;-) We landed 2 of our 8 boated before he arrived, didn't land the 3rd until he was leaving, and then the bite really flared up with 5 more quickly boated right after he left. :-D And to keep from ending on a sour note, ending the report with a picture taken back on the hill of Sharkman and his buddy with 2 cobes we put on ice.
IMG_21114.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Cobia Bite On Fire!

Post by Salty Gator »

Awesome day for sure, congratulations. Way to put your boys on fish!!! Hard to tell from the vid, how closely did the clowns in the wrapped sea hunt post up on y'all, sucks, but didn't seem to slow y'all down. Nice work :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

The Georgia fish envy was strong that day.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice work!

Way to sneak in a trip before the storm.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
big bend gyrene

Salty Gator wrote: how closely did the clowns in the wrapped sea hunt post up on y'all, sucks, but didn't seem to slow y'all down.
Salty, he was very close. Best guess is at times he was within 50 to 60 feet / WELL within casting distance. Have to look closely at the video, but when he first pulls up you can see how close the family diving was to him, only to have him flat out gun his engine while they were still out diving. And though he didn't slow down the total trip results, we didn't land a fish between the time he pulled up until just after he gunned it leaving. Bite was hot on both sides of his visit.
ontiltttttt wrote:The Georgia fish envy was strong that day.
Ontiltttttt, I laughed out loud at that one! :smt005 Sure did seem to be the case!
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

He must have thought you were on a Bluegill bed. :hammer:

What a Richard Cranium. :smt011
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice clip of the action, BBG. Good karma, too.

Don't know what you were upset about with the SH character. Don't you know he owns the Gulf of Mexico? :lol:

Unfortunately, the general rudeness and self-centered attitude rampant in today's society has manifested in the last refuge we had--the water.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Boom!
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
bbb

Post by bbb »

Those bait clickers drew him right in to ya. You know us GA boys can't resist the bait clickers. We can hear them a couple miles away.
big bend gyrene

bbb wrote:Those bait clickers drew him right in to ya. You know us GA boys can't resist the bait clickers. We can hear them a couple miles away.
Don't care who you are, that right there is FUNNY! :smt005