K tower

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dtk15c

K tower

Post by Dtk15c »

I’m thinking about taking a trip out to k tower. I’ve heard that is one of the better to fish. Any suggestions on fishing out there. Only fish inshore but with a newer reliable motor I’d like to make a trip into deep water. All advice would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MeatEater

Re: K tower

Post by MeatEater »

Plenty of AJ's on it, which aren't currently in season. Troll around the tower and you'll pick up kings pretty easy. Stretch 30's work great for kings and this time of year you should have pretty constant action. You may get lucky on a grouper, but it'll be tough as that tower gets hammered pretty hard. Lots of ARS to catch and release there as well.

Dtk15c

Post by Dtk15c »

Thanks for the great info! What ramp would you recommend to use. I’ll be bringing extra gas but want the shortest run.

MeatEater

K tower

Post by MeatEater »

Lanark is going to be the closest shot unless you store your boat at AP Marina. If you're not familiar with running the channel from Lanark boat ramp and worried about it you could make the run out of Carrabelle. Adds about 8 miles to your boat ride, give or take. Panacea is another option, but again you add a little bit to the ride once again. I'd go with 1,2,3 launch locations listed above based on your comfort level and/or sea conditions.

Bring some butterly jigs for fun tugging on Amberjack. If the seas are flat, they'll usually chase top water too. But, make sure you've got heavy gear or you'll just be donating $10 bills to Davie Jones pretty fast and often. Forgot to mention that there should be plenty of Black Sea bass out there too this time of year. Cut bait on the bottom should load you up.

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MeatEater wrote:Lanark is going to be the closest shot unless you store your boat at AP Marina. If you're not familiar with running the channel from Lanark boat ramp and worried about it you could make the run out of Carrabelle. Adds about 8 miles to your boat ride, give or take. Panacea is another option, but again you add a little bit to the ride once again. I'd go with 1,2,3 launch locations listed above based on your comfort level and/or sea conditions.

Bring some butterly jigs for fun tugging on Amberjack. If the seas are flat, they'll usually chase top water too. But, make sure you've got heavy gear or you'll just be donating $10 bills to Davie Jones pretty fast and often. Forgot to mention that there should be plenty of Black Sea bass out there too this time of year. Cut bait on the bottom should load you up.

This is great advice. As the crow flies k is about 20 miles from Mashe sands and from Lanark. So not too much difference. But if you want live pins, dog island reef is a great spot and you'll want to go out of Lanark for that. There are also some good areas around k, so go slow and watch your bottom machine, you'll probably find some new gag numbers. Good luck, give us a report. As far as gas, if your going out 25 miles, most want enough fuel for 75 miles ( three times your estimated furthest distance)
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven