Offshore Carrabelle 12/30

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

strictlydiesel86

Offshore Carrabelle 12/30

Post by strictlydiesel86 »

Watched the weather for the week leading up to Saturday. Weather was looking great on the various weather apps I check. So I dragged the family offshore (first time for all of them). We were idling out of the river by 1030. They seemed skeptical; skies were overcast, a choppy 1-2ft run, and still hovering below 50degs. We pushed out of the cut ~10mi to the first number in 40+ft of water. Made some quick drops with a fairly quick bite. Only found grunts and sea bass.

We pulled the anchor and pushed to deeper water. Made it to 52ft and anchored on some nice structure. Baited the hooks and dropped.

Boated a number of red snapper (some were real studs) and a couple short gags right off the bat. We stayed on that spot for awhile weeding through the elusive reds, a few grunts and sea bass. I was eventually slammed by something big, peeling drag. Daggum thing felt like an anchor. Was doin my best not to let whatever was on the other end get away from me. Finally got it to the surface, big gag! Barely had it in the net before my sisters line gets slammed. She was not expecting such a violent hit and she was not up for the task of fighting whatever was on the opposite end. I netted my gag and slung it into the boat with my rod and hook still connected. She handed me her rig and I proceeded to pull up another nice gag off the bottom. Both were 29.5”-30”. A nice pair for the last weekend of the season.

ImageImageImageImage

Bite died off pretty quickly afterwards so we pushed to deeper water. Didn’t find much, just more sea bass and grunts. We relaxed there for a bit before pulling anchor and moving in shallower.

We made on last stop and picked up one final snapper on a drift before calling it a day.

Made it home by 1730 and ready for dinner.
Jon L.

1994 GMC Sierra 2500 ECSB 6.5l Intercooled Turbo Diesel
1997 Wellcraft 160ccf 16ft cc and Evinrude 50hp
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Offshore Carrabelle 12/30

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice job. We fished Saturday also, had to work hard for 2 keepers. The full moon seems to shut down the gag bite. Thanks for the report
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

nice
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Nice catch SD86 . We came in right behind you in flats boat. Our pair of 25's were tasty.
image.jpeg
strictlydiesel86

Post by strictlydiesel86 »

Ah, Greenbone. Y’all did well. I saw your post from 2 weeks ago and thought I’d recognized that flats boat. Y’all end up getting back out that Sunday?
Jon L.

1994 GMC Sierra 2500 ECSB 6.5l Intercooled Turbo Diesel
1997 Wellcraft 160ccf 16ft cc and Evinrude 50hp
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

We did go out Sunday but got our a$$ handed to us half way across the bay. Just not the pirate I used to be.