Carrabelle grouper 4/28

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Carrabelle grouper 4/28

Post by bbb »

Good day on the water despite several boaters attempts to ruin it. Dropped the boat in around 10am. With the full moon I anticipated an afternoon bite. Caught our 30 pinfish on the flats and headed south. Stopped at one spot and found some cigar minnows and caught a dozen just in case. We also encountered boater #1 here out on a joy ride in the gulf of mexico. Came from miles way and ran 20 yards off my bow.

Got to the 1st spot and there were 5 boats in the area. No one within 100 yards of each other, til boater #2 shows up. He pulls up 30 yards up current from me. I'm on spot lock and he ends up drifting 15-20 yards off my bow. I crank up and move 100 yards making sure to send him my wake.

We set up on spot #2 and immediately start catching grouper. 20", 23" then a 24" snapper. Then comes boater #3. He is carrying divers and pulls up 30 yards away and starts idling towards me. I can tell he wants to be where we are and I keep giving him the dirty eye. He pulls off after 5 minutes and then the fun began. Wind shifts out of the WNW and immediately the bite picks up. We boat a 30", 26" and two 24.5" grouper along with numerous shorts over the next 2 hours.

As things are winding down, boat #4 and #5 anchor up 25 yards on each side of me. By this time we have our limit in the boat so it doesn't bother me near as much. With seas getting sporty and my trolling motor coming out of the water every 4th or 5th wave, we give it 30 more minutes and head in. Bay was pretty sporty for a bayboat coming in.

Ended the day with 4 keepers, threw back two 24" snapper, a nice king and about 30 short grouper.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Carrabelle grouper 4/28

Post by silverking »

Nice day, except for the discourteous boaters. We're getting to be more like South Florida every day. :roll:

I see your junior angler managed to wake up just in time for the hero shots. :thumbup:

Thanks for the report.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Awesome report. Yeah idiots are everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Now that's a great trip! Do you mind sharing the approx depth you were in and how far out. The reason I ask is that I too have a bay boat and am limited as to how far I can go out.
bbb

Post by bbb »

46' and about 8 miles out.
Sawbones
Site Sponsor

Post by Sawbones »

Wow! That's a great looking boat! Good job on the gags too. :thumbup:
bbb

Post by bbb »

Sawbones wrote:Wow! That's a great looking boat! Good job on the gags too. :thumbup:
I'm just glad you left the good mojo in the boat. It seems to catch fish everywhere I take it.
Bonecracker

Post by Bonecracker »

GooGans! :thumbdown:
2012 Maverick 18-HPX / Yama 115 4 stroke
2006 28 Whitewater/ twin VMAX HPDI 200HP
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

bbb,

Thanks for the great pictures.

By the way, can keeper grouper still be found in state waters in Apalachee Bay or do I need to head toward Carrabelle where the state waters are deeper and cooler?
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

What is the unwritten code of the sea in regards to fishing close to someone else? I'm sure everyone's standard is different. Just curious.
rickc

Post by rickc »

AugustusMccrae wrote:What is the unwritten code of the sea in regards to fishing close to someone else? I'm sure everyone's standard is different. Just curious.
offshore i would say a mile. bottom fishermen hate people stealing their numbers and anchoring up within shouting distance is rediculus. there is plenty of water out there and lots of rock piles.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rickc wrote:
AugustusMccrae wrote:What is the unwritten code of the sea in regards to fishing close to someone else? I'm sure everyone's standard is different. Just curious.
offshore i would say a mile. bottom fishermen hate people stealing their numbers and anchoring up within shouting distance is rediculus. there is plenty of water out there and lots of rock piles.
Ha I wish, I’d take a cast distance. People will absolutely anchor on the same smal wreck your fishing and you can hear every word they say. Most will give a little more room on live bottoms but I’ve had guys ( one guy in this forum that may remain nameless ) pull within 20’ of me and start fishing in 60 feet. An 1/8 of a mile would be nice, but lazy fishermen like to steal numbers
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bbb

Carrabelle grouper 4/28

Post by bbb »

If the fish can see my bait and your bait at the same time, you're too close.

If I can smell your breath or deodorant, your too close.

But honestly, if I can recognize your face, you're too close.

I pretty much limit myself to going around 10 miles offshore. I know the majority of boats I see are 7-10 miles out. I'll give ya 100 yards if you are sitting on a public area.
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Great report. Yep there are some pushy folks out on the water. Just try not to let ruin your day.
LiveLine

Post by LiveLine »

Thanks for the new fishing spots.. :-D

Nice haul Dale