05/23/18 - Chasing Cobes Between Storms

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

05/23/18 - Chasing Cobes Between Storms

Post by big bend gyrene »

Wise words my Dad shared with me many moons ago, "Every asset is also a burden"... it's sure proved true with my time available for fishing diminishing the more my wife and I have grown our business.

Despite having had a bad case of cobia fever since early April, nearly all of the prime time month of May had passed without me managing to get out when Ontiltttttt called me up and shared that he had a brief window to go before starting med school clinical rotations and that he also was eager to take a shared friend who had just completed dentistry studies. I warned Ontiltttttt that the forecast looked seriously crappy and that I suspected we might ought to bass fish in my pond instead, but promised I'd keep an eye on the weather for ANY window of opportunity.

Despite original forecasts of 100% chances of storms hitting on Wednesday, as I watched the forecast late Tuesday afternoon they kept shifting storms a bit later and later in the day on Wednesday until I felt guardedly optimistic we could at least make a quick run out in the morning.

Turned out that while it stormed inshore, we didn't have a single drop fall on us while fishing and choppy morning conditions actually calmed as the day progressed.

As for the fishing, Ontiltttttt put a keeper on ice almost as soon as we had the anchor down.
Joe's Cobe (3).jpg
Joe's Cobe (2).jpg
Can't say we exactly found the bite to be on fire, as we sat for hours between two keeper bites, but were blessedly entertained during the dry spell by jumping eagle rays, a pod of dolphins, and a couple of acrobatic spinner sharks who used their flying skills to wrap our lines and free themselves.

With only about 15 minutes left on a self-imposed departure time we finally got a second keeper to take one of our baits.
Andrew's Cobe.jpg
Headed back to the hill with enough daylight to clean fish and even land a couple of bass in the pond.
Keepers.jpg
052418 Cleaning.jpg
Nice Haul.jpg
Feel as if we got super lucky managing to get out between earlier storms and Alberto. Hoping June brings a few more chances to get back out.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: 05/23/18 - Chasing Cobes Between Storms

Post by Blue spinner »

nice catch
good to talking to y'all , the bit slowed down after that
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice day BBG. Just read Bluespinner's post so assuming you went out of Econfina. Live bait? Thanks for sharing.

I had a couple shots at big shiners with the long rod on Thursday. Water clarity will be crap for awhile now thanks to Alberto but good to see the pelagics are back in local waters.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

Blue spinner wrote:nice catch
good to talking to y'all , the bit slowed down after that
Always enjoy getting the chance to talk to you, Blue spinner! Actually still had the GoPro running as we ran back in so managed to capture us chatting at the dock.
Blue Spinner.jpg
silverking wrote:Nice day BBG. Just read Bluespinner's post so assuming you went out of Econfina. Live bait? Thanks for sharing.
Yep, fished out of Econ and with live pins... put 30 in the live well with sabikis before targeting the cobes. Was hoping it'd be the kind of day we ran out of bait due to a red hot bite, but had quite a few left when we called it a day. To Blue spinner's comment, felt like we were lucky to catch the slowing bite at all as it seemed to really fall off as the morning cleared up.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Great fish BBG, that first one is really fat. 2 for 2 on fish like that is a solid day
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Nice job on the cobes, been working on figuring them out of the last couple years, new to the area. Good to know they are around.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Way to git em BBG!

I'm having the same "life is taking all of my fishing time" disease this year.

woop
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
big bend gyrene

woopty wrote:Way to git em BBG! I'm having the same "life is taking all of my fishing time" disease this year.
Hope you can get out on 'em soon, Woopty!
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Nice fish glad y'all were able to get in a quick trip. We spend a lot of time out of Econfina and hardly ever run up on any Cobia. We were out Friday and the bite was as good as I've ever seen it. It's a shame we could only keep two apiece.
]
Clayton and Grouper.JPG
I have no idea why the pic turned like that.
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

BBG aka "King Cobia"

The record remains intact!
big bend gyrene

ontiltttttt wrote:BBG aka "King Cobia" The record remains intact!
Lest anyone wonder what Ontiltttttt is talking about, not any record I claim but instead one he's tracking. In five years we've fished together, he believes every salt trip we've made together (one Carrabelle trip targeting AJs excluded) resulted in at least a single cobe being landed.

As for the humorous royal title, Bman first bestowed it upon me but it was definitely shared tongue-in-cheek. FULLY appreciate there are quite a few other fellas on this forum (as well as off the forum) that target and catch cobes all summer long! :beer:
big bend gyrene

THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote:Nice fish glad y'all were able to get in a quick trip. We spend a lot of time out of Econfina and hardly ever run up on any Cobia. We were out Friday and the bite was as good as I've ever seen it. It's a shame we could only keep two apiece.
Nice gags, Thomas City Curve!

Have said before and will say it again, in ways wish I could rewind the clock to times before my cobia addiction began. Used to enjoy double digit trout days drifting flats, fun redfish days casting spoons to oyster bars, and days trolling around for grouper as well. With the cobia, often only get a fish or two the entire day.

Would definitely recommend be it inshore of offshore, keeping a pinfish floated off the back for cruising cobes does work from time to time if you can put up with sharks as well.
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

NIce fish! How deep were you fishing?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY BBG, MAN , YOU SURE KNOW HOW TO GETTER DONE ON THOSE COBE'S. I HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO LAND ONE KEEPER COBE, IN THE LAST 30 YRS SINCE I RETIRED, HAVE CAUGHT QUITE A FEW SHORTS USING A 12 INCH BLACK PLASTIC WORM WHILE FISHING ON THE FLATS FOR TROUT. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR LAST TRIP.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO